• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Components for new rig: 2600K box missing seal

Razenko

n00b
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
39
Hello,

I've ordered all the components for a new system a couple of days ago, and they all arrived today.
When I was looking through all the stuff they shipped, I discovered that the box of the Intel Core i7 2600K was missing its seal, it wasnt cut through or anything, and it didnt looked if it was really ripped off.
I couldnt really tell if the CPU looked used or anything, and it came with the original stock cooler (with original three stripe thermal paste pre-applied), the batch number on the box also matched that on the CPU.

So, should I just go ahead and build the system? I can always RMA the cpu if there are any issues with it.
Or should I try to get a replacement? (this could take a while)

I've also read that glue or adhesive that Intel uses for these boxes on the seals isnt that great, could it be possible it just gotten loose in the whole shipping process.

Also, the site I've ordered it is a highly rated and a reputable dealer, and I've ordered plenty of stuff without any issues there.

Maybe I'm just making a lot of fuss about nothing really :p, I always get a bit panicky with these kinds of things.
 
heres a good way to tell if the processor is used. Look at the bottom where it would sit in the motherboard. if you see little dots where it looks like pins were touching it, its used. If it looks clean, its new.
 
heres a good way to tell if the processor is used. Look at the bottom where it would sit in the motherboard. if you see little dots where it looks like pins were touching it, its used. If it looks clean, its new.

Thanks for the tip.
I just inspected the chip and you are right, there seems to be little dots on the contacts where the pins would touch.
Which means that this CPU is indeed used.

Given this information, would the advice still be "use it and abuse it :D" or should I send it back?
 
where did you buy it? im curious. if you dont want to say publicly in fear of a hit squad coming after you, you can always pm it to me.

the cpu could of been bought once before someone checked what they could overclock it to and wasnt happy and returend it and the dealer didnt bother to check for the seal.

that would be my main worry about it not being a very good overclocker.

but imo you recieved it open how would they know if you used it and tested it to see if it works... its already open.
 
but imo you recieved it open how would they know if you used it and tested it to see if it works... its already open.

Well, the stock cooler that was delivered with the cpu is still unused and the original thermal paste is still intact, and I didnt order a third party cooler along with it either, so I guess that will count for something I hope.
 
Well, the stock cooler that was delivered with the cpu is still unused and the original thermal paste is still intact, and I didnt order a third party cooler along with it either, so I guess that will count for something I hope.

Where did you buy the chip? It could just be missing the seal.
 
It takes about 10min to test a chip out , and no overclocker would ever touch the stock cooler that comes in the retail package. It's likely the person bought about 10 of them, tested all 10, and sent the bad ones back. You should be able to tell if paste was applied because it would slightly discolor the aluminum.
 
did you pay full retail "new"chip price then you should get what you paid for.
a good online retailer should at the very least refund you the difference between what they charge for new and open box.
 
My mates and I decided to built the system anyway last night, and surprise surprise.. the fans started spinning.. and then switched off again, tried disconnecting all unnecesarry hardware and swapped memory around, but no change :(.
Now, we already suspected the CPU to be the issue here, and my mate took it to the computershop where he works, and tested the cpu in a testbed system.
The cpu appeared to be broken indeed, as the test system did the same thing.

The good news is, we called the dealer, and they would send a new cpu today, which should arrive tomorrow :).

I'm beginning to think that the cpu I got was actually a returned RMA product that somehow found its way into my delivery.

I just hope the busted CPU didnt damage my motherboard or anything, that would be a bummer.
 
Can you tell us where you bought it so I can avoid buying from there. Or PM me is fine, thanks
 
Can you tell us where you bought it so I can avoid buying from there. Or PM me is fine, thanks

Just as a note, I'm from The Netherlands.
If you don't live in Holland it isn't relevant as you will most likely never order there anyway.
For those who do live in Holland or would like to know the specifics, you can PM me about it.
 
NO YOU REALLY NEED TO TELL US THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS ABOUT!!!

O.K. sorry I'm calm now.

Reason being I purchased several items from frys that were open box returns etc. I'd say that in the past it was generally a good deal since most worked some missing screws etc at time or a manual. Who cares.

But recently its become much worse.

I purchase a fan controller from them that immedately killed an onboard header.
I also purchased a powersupply that took out a graphics card.
 
Back
Top