• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Component -> VGA converter?

jdelo24

n00b
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
11
Hey all. I have a PS2 (back home) that i want to hook up to my Dell 2007WFP (here in the dorm). I also have a set of Monster Cable component cables. I'm looking for a cheap, reliable component to VGA converter. I know I could use the s-video in but i've heard that it displays a lot of jaggies. Will using component alleviate this?
 
There is likely something, but I wouldn't worry about it. The only reason to use component over s-video for the Playstation 2 would be to achieve progressive scan (in place of interlace), and even that is on only a handful of games. This won't get rid of any jaggies, as the resolution will still be far below the native resolution of 1680x1050 on your Dell monitor. I have the same monitor, use the s-video for my Playstation 2 connectivity, and it looks pretty good considering the source.

Just letting you know so that you don't spend too much time pursuing something that's not likely to give you much, if any, visual improvement. That said, enjoy the monitor! :)
 
Thanks! Do you experience any lag issues with the ps2 connected to the dell? i play quite a bit of timing-sensitive games (beatmania IIDX)
 
Neoya X2VGA
V-Digi VD-Z3
XCM 1080p Box

All of them make component to VGA transcoders of similar quality designed for game consoles. Price is about $60 + ridiculous shipping because they come from Hong Kong, heh.

Be warned that these are only designed to do 480p and up; try playing a PS2 game that can only run in 480i and you're SOL. I'd just use S-Video honestly (and 1:1 if you can tolerate the small 640x480 centered box with huge borders :p) unless you were planning on hooking up more recent consoles.
 
Back
Top