Component on the NEC 20WMGX2

Armatoste

Limp Gawd
I own one and just recently bought a used PS2 to play a bunch of games I missed out on. The seller included component and s-video cables with it. Before buying the PS2 I had never used the component input before so I figured it would look decent enough.

Boy, was I wrong. Component on the 20WMGX2 is downright ugly, I couldn't believe my eyes. The image quality on DVI and VGA is gorgeous yet component is hideous. I tried s-video to see how much worse it would look and to my surprise it actually looks better than component. I guess I can live with the quality of the S-video input.

I emailed NEC but the tech who replied me had pretty much useless advice. So is there anyway to improve the component IQ or am I pretty much sol with that input on my NEC?:(

Does the PS2 output 480i or 480p? Fuzzy composite might look better than poorly deinterlaced component depending on the source.

Having said that I don't think the component is anything to write home about.

Most games on PS2 are 480i. I'm surprised that s-video > component. However most computer monitors don't really pay much attention to the component input part of the monitor. Maybe a cheap component to VGA adapter would help?

Ah well here's the answer to my image quality problem.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031010990&postcount=535

S-video, composite, and component all look like they have some sort of ugly frame-blending noise filter, which degrades the image, and there's no way to disable it. I'm not happy with the image quality, but most people might not notice or care.

D'oh. Anyway, Component/Composite look bad, but S-Video manages to look half decent. Here, check it out (Same exact settings on both inputs). All 480i.

S-Video
sv1.jpg
sv2e.jpg

Component
54378794.jpg
78327578.jpg

Back