Component looks better than HDMI?

So ever since I got my HDTV I have had my upscaling dvd player connected via HDMI since it is supposed to be the best quality connection. Well the other day I was using the HDMI cord for something else and temporarily connected the dvd player with component and was shocked by the amazing pq that I got. The colors were so much deeper and vivid. It made HDMI look washed out. Whats the deal here? I thought HDMI was supposed to be above component. I did try adjusting settings when using HDMI and it did not matter.

It's actually not all that uncommon for Component to look better than HDMI with certain TV's and components.

It could also be due to the fact that it was most likely in 480p instead of the normal 720p or 1080i/p that you run it at. Just about every upscaling DVD player you can buy will only go above 480p with HDMI.

Chances are, either the HDMI component is not processed as well on your display as the component (filtering, color balancing etc.) or the HDMI input has a mismatch from source to display of pc levels (0-255) versus video levels (16-235) so the colors / contrast is compressed or clipping. See if your source (DVD player, etc.) lets you adjust the output between PC and Video levels in the menus (it may be called something slightly different - expanded black or something like that, if its present at all.) The PS3 lets you do this for example, and it looks much better on my TV when set to video levels.

Back