complicated

Ok so I bought an ABIT Fatality AN8 Sli ...

ok now that you've all stopped laughing I need some pointers.
the LAN doesn't work and for some reason I can't get a PCI NIC to work right either, everything looks as it should in under device mgr, network connections and IE, no errors or yellow flags. I have a cable modem that looks as though it's working as it should with the activity lights blinking as well as the LAN port activity lights, but i can't connect to the internet or ping anything through a dos prompt window...everything looks like it's working but it isn't.

Cables are good and the modem works fine on another system, so I don't see how it could be that and the tards over on the abit forums either ignore or seem more concerned about forum rules than actually helping with troubleshooting.

I'm not using nvidia's firewall or a router atm, and i have updated the bios to 17 with nvidia's nforce 6.66 drivers

it's really odd becuase everything else on the board works fine, boots good with no post codes.

any idea's?

AMD 64 4000+
Abit fatlity AN8 Sli
OCZpc3200 platinum 2,2,2,5 1T
BFG 7800GTXoc
WD 2x 74gig raptors
WD SII 200g
Pc power&cooling 510sli

Have you looked for any problems in event viewer? Have you pinged the loopback address? ping 127.0.0.1

nothing in event viewer, not sure what loopack pinging is.

Heres the kicker, Today I went and bought a ASUS A8N-SLI and have the exact same issue, the dweebs at comcast tell me the net is fine and my modem is working from what they can see, and all my settings are correct.

I can't be the only person who's had this issue with the nvidia ethernet and onboard LAN
i'm seeing packets sent but none recieved in the connection mgr window.

I even disabled the onboard LAN in the bios, installed a PCI nic and it's not doing squat either ...is there some step or trick to getting the nvidia LAN to work that i'm missing?

Pinging the loopback address is testing the network adapter up to the network cable. It checks condition of the network interface. The command as I posted before is: ping 127.0.0.1

relocated, if you need me to we can relocate it yet again
but I think troubleshooting in here is a good place to start

Is your modem/provider looking for a specific MAC address on the NIC. You said it worked on another machine. Perhaps the modem is looking for that MAC. Seems like since you've talked to your ISP that would be something they would have mentioned but who knows with ISP support. You can typically spoof the MAC of the other machine to try it without doing any harm anyway.

Leadslinger said:
nothing in event viewer, not sure what loopack pinging is.

Heres the kicker, Today I went and bought a ASUS A8N-SLI and have the exact same issue, the dweebs at comcast tell me the net is fine and my modem is working from what they can see, and all my settings are correct.

I can't be the only person who's had this issue with the nvidia ethernet and onboard LAN
i'm seeing packets sent but none recieved in the connection mgr window.

I even disabled the onboard LAN in the bios, installed a PCI nic and it's not doing squat either ...is there some step or trick to getting the nvidia LAN to work that i'm missing?
nVidia....isn't there some sort of nVidia firewall or something built into those chipsets? Like at the bios level or something? Make sure that all of that is turned off - atleast for trouble shooting purposes. Then go to a command prompt and run these two things:
1) ping 127.0.0.1
2) ipconfig /all
Now report back with the results.

and just because the obvious sometimes escapes us
Ive made the mistake of mixing up a straight cable with a crossover before :rolleyes: :p

NIC to NIC - Crossover Cable. (Computer directly to second computer).
NIC to Hub - Straight Cable. (Computer to Hub/Switch).
NIC to Uplink - Crossover Cable. (Computer to Uplink on a HUb/Switch).

Hub (regular) to Hub (regular) - Crossover Cable.
Hub (regular) to Hub Uplink - Straight Cable.
Hub Uplink to Hub Uplink - Crossover Cable.

Just like to point out that pinging 127.0.0.1 only tests that TCP/IP is bound to something, and doesn't actually test the card itself...

Back