Complicated Problem

Keller

n00b
I was using my computer a few days ago and I randomly get a blue screen error, I shut down my computer and after the Windows XP Professional logo loads the blue screen error comes back. I try turning off the computer again and turning it back on but the same thing happens. I decide that I might have gotten a virus so I put in my Windows XP cd planning to reformat, but when the Windows XP cd starts to load get this error:

File hal.dll could not be loaded. The error code is 7

Now I am thinking something might be wrong with my hard drive, so I take it out and bring it to my friends house, hook it up to his computer and reformat from there. Everything goes fine, the hard drive works on his computer and I think I have solved my problems. I go back to my house, put my hard drive back in, but when I boot up my computer I get a black screen with this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent setting that worked.

If a previous startup attemp was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you arent sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

It gives me a choice to start in the following settings:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start windows Normally

None of these choices work, they just bring me back to the same screen.

My friend told me it could possibly a problem with my motherboard, I was wondering if anyone here has heard of a problem like this and/or knows how to fix it? Thnx for any help in advance.

Since you formatted your drive, it should be blank with no traces of Windows, so I'm not sure how you are getting that message. Anyways, try booting off your WinXP install CD. If you did format the drive, you are going to need to reinstall windows anyways, but if you didn't format it, you can use the install CD to try and repair your install.

I guess I forgot to add that while I was at my friends house I did install XP also and it was working fine on his computer. I just took out one of my RAM sticks and I am not getting the hal.dll error anymore when I use the XP cd, so right now I'm repairing the installation and hopefully it will fix, but if not I'll update here.

Back