• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Complicated Audio Setup... Windows 7 Issues

Audiochris

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 23, 2000
Messages
1,290
I'm looking for a way to output sound to two outputs simultaneously. I have a MOTU 8pre and the main output and the headphone output are treated as two discrete outputs. Windows 7 will only let me send audio to one or the other. It's a PITA to keep switching the output in the control panel. Any hope?
 
they're supposed to be separate outputs, at least according to MOTU

whats the issue with Windows 7? if you've got the thing selected as your audio device, you should be able to pick what uses which output in your application software or drivers
 
It's not really a problem with Windows 7 per se, I was just wondering if there was a way to have the windows feed both outputs the same thing at the same time. Main outputs are feeding a Yamaha 01v mixer which feed my studio monitors. Headphone out feeds my headphones which gives me my monitor mix. When recording, this is exactly what I want because the recording software will take care of the routing. But, when playing games or listening to music, I actually have to go into the control panel and change my output to either main or headphone. I solved the problem using a stereo aux out of the mixer to feed a headphone amp which basically does the same thing. Only now I can route audio wherever the hell I want. Plus I can bypass MOTU's cuemix software all together. Just needed a little thinking through I guess.
 
If you're only worried about routing audio to the headphones, check to see if your cue mix has a "phones" menu. If so, you should be able to "follow active mix". Else, see if you can route one of your optical outs back in (or use a dedicated cheapie soundcard just for windows sounds and route it into the optical in). You would then be able to route that audio as needed in cue mix.

FWIW - I'm really making an educated guess based on my motu. Your 8pre seems to use a different Cue Mix software.

edit: you replied while I was looking at pictures of the 8pre on motu's site. Still...the optical loopback (or coming in from a different card) may work for you.
 
yeah, I don't think you can have Windows do what you want, because the 8pre is designed to view those as independent stereo devices (so it does what you've got setup for recording, I'm doubting the people at MOTU intended this to be used for gaming or whatever)

good to hear you figured out a workable solution, I was gonna suggest "why not get something hooked to the main out", like a headphone amp, but that can cost some considerable money, although it sounds like you've already got the gear

another idea would be to just unplug your headphones from the HP jack on the 8pre and hook 'em into your mixer when you want to game or whatever, and set stuff up in Windows to use that main output (you just have to remember to get your headphones into the right output)

::edit
also doctah's idea as well should work
 
Yeah, my optical ins and outs afaik are ADAT only, you can't switch them to pcm so i'd be wasting 6 channels. Plus I'm using them as the transport to and from the mixer. I don't actually use the preamps in the MOTU for anything except a talkback mic and extra room mics if i needed.
 
Back
Top