Complex Network

b00lean

n00b
I have the computers all networked currently. Router number 2 has dhcp disabled. The office shares a connection with the home. I got a seperate cable connection in the office now. I still want to keep the network and if possible share the cable connection across networks. I cant figure this out.... I wanted to know if anyone could help me. With the laptops i dont think it will be a problem to jump from wireless network to network..

So i want to use the cable connection on pc#1 from both routers. Is this possible?? And if not i just want each router to have its own cable connection but networked with each other

NETWORK.gif

What kind of routers are these? If these are simple home routers with one WAN interface, there's not much you can do in terms of load balancing / fault handling with the dual cable modems. With a commercial router with multiple interfaces and the ability to set different routes, some of these things would be possible.

The PCs will use whichever router is listed in their default route. So if all you wish to do is connect the two networks together, then you should be able to assign all computers addresses belonging to the same subnet, then manually set the default gateway differently on your home and office computers to the respective local router.

Home router = NETGEAR WGR614v5 (WIRELESS ON)

Office router = D-LINK 524 (WIRELESS OFF)
(Linksys WAP54G (WIRLESS ON))

I know these arent the best of combos but what can i say?

I can access home router from office with nor problem. But when i try to access the router in the office it times out. Now if i cant link the internet connections how can i make each router use its own connection and still have a lan connection Between the networks.

I each router would have to assign its own dhcp. I disabled it on the office router to be able to have a connection. I dunno what to do. Is it possible for each router to have dhcp enabled?

Set up a VPN In windows xp? (btw both pcs will be online 24/7) Can i just make a connection from one pc to the other over the lan connection?

Have you tried making the Cat5 connecting the two routers crossover and using it as an uplink? Not exactly sure how it would work out with dual-modems, but worth looking into. It could also allow you to use one modem, and one router actually routing(others just switch).

Home router (net into wan port) (pc in lan1) (200ft cable lan2) (wireless on)
Office router (net into wan port) (pc in lan1) (200ft cable lan3) (wireless router lan3)

if i take out the 200ft cable from the router in the office the net crashes even though it has its own connection to the net WAN.

Its cuz i have the dhcp disabled??

I cant have ips overlapping either

OK just forget about the internet sharing..

How can i network the 2 routers now??

I cant figure out a way to have all the pcs talk to each other..

Remember that each router has its own internet connection.

WHat has to be the same?? Gateway?DNS? No idea...

Each router has its own ip and each pc has its own ip

They both seem to mention something about VPN.

They both support VPN passthrough, meaning they allow multiple clients to connect via VPN to servers out on the internet, nothing to do with VPN services on the routers themselves.

"Networking the two routers" really is just accomplished by running a cable between them. The two routers aren't going to communicate with each other--they will just exist on the same network. I would stop trying to assign DHCP (if that link between the routers goes down, your DHCP is killed on one side), and just assign static addresses.

You have to use the same subnet on both sides with your setup. The only way around that is to use a commercial router (not a NAT router), as a NAT router doesn't support unrestricted bi-directional communication between two subnets.

Here's a config example:

router ................................router 2
LAN: 192.168.1.1-------------LAN: 192.168.1.100
.....|...........................................|
.....|...........................................|
client 1................................client 2
gateway 192.168.1.1...........gateway 192.168.1.100
dns 192.168.1.1..................dns 192.168.1.100

rusek said:
Have you tried making the Cat5 connecting the two routers crossover and using it as an uplink? Not exactly sure how it would work out with dual-modems, but worth looking into. It could also allow you to use one modem, and one router actually routing(others just switch).
I would go with this and just set the computers you want to use the office router with a default gateway of the office router and the same for the computers you want for the home connection. Then of course, you'd have to go with a hybrid static/dynamic IP configuration, but it would get the job done.

First off, if you don't want problems with DHCP, you don't want to just bridge the two routers with cable, thats only going to cause problems. What you need, is a simple router in between, one that you can add to your routing table, to tell the one network to go through. Now, once you get that, you should be able to set a static route into each router, so that when it gets a request for say, the 192.168.1,0 network, it will forward that to the interal router. Also, make sure you don't try and use the same subnet on both sides, it won't work. Ill try now, to give a Text pictoral view
Code:
___________                                         _______________
| router 1|                                         |office router|
-----------                                         ---------------
     |  |             _________________               |    |
     |  --------------|Internal router|----------------    |
     |                -----------------                    |
Internal network 1                                   office network

Thinking about the person aboves me reply, it would work, but I don't really like it from a security perspective, but it would work. Probably the better route in this case as well. I would probably turn of the office routers DHCP server then, and staticly set every thing for those machines.

Ok, here is what you do. This should work, as this is how i have my home network connected to my cisco lab.
You don't need to follow my IP scheme exactly, just make sure the 2 routers are on their own networks with seperate IP space.

Home
Router IP: 192.168.1.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP range 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.50 (or something like that, depending on the # of hosts you have. This also leaves room for some staticly assigned IPs outside of your DHCP pool)
Clients: DHCP

Put a static route on this router for 192.168.2.0/24 to 192.168.2.1

Office
Router IP: 192.168.2.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP range: 192.168.2.10 - 192.168.2.50
Clients: DHCP
Put a static route on this router for 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.1.1

The static routes will take precedence over any other route for those IP ranges, so that any time you need to contact a host on the other network, it will route across the interconnect. All other traffic will be routed out the WAN link as normal.

DNS is a little mpre trouble. You either need a router that will let you enter DNS names, a DNS server, or DNS entries in each device's hosts file. Or just always use IPs.

Thanks guys for your input. I will try it once i have some free time.. Cant be messing up the networks right now. I will keep posted

Darkstar,

While your description is certainly accurate and the ideal way to configure the multi-site network, it doesn't look like his routers support that configuration. The Dlink doesn't allow for static routes, and even though the Netgear does, neither support multiple IP addresses on each interface, which would be required for the static routing to work (i.e. the home router would have to have also an IP in the 192.168.2.0/24 range so that it could communicate with the office router, and vice-versa).

So boolean, your options are to get commercial routers with the capabilities Darkstar refers to, or to use a makeshift method to which some of the other posts have referred.

Let me turn this complex network into a simple one.

1. Remove the second cable modem.

Problem solved.

On another note.

Why not just get rid of the second one, and use the extra monthly change to upgrade the original cable's speed to a higher rate?

BollWeevil said:
Darkstar,

While your description is certainly accurate and the ideal way to configure the multi-site network, it doesn't look like his routers support that configuration. The Dlink doesn't allow for static routes, and even though the Netgear does, neither support multiple IP addresses on each interface, which would be required for the static routing to work (i.e. the home router would have to have also an IP in the 192.168.2.0/24 range so that it could communicate with the office router, and vice-versa).

So boolean, your options are to get commercial routers with the capabilities Darkstar refers to, or to use a makeshift method to which some of the other posts have referred.

Damn, you are right. I knew I was missing something.

Back