Completely Wiping out a Hard drive?

baldyguy

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

I want to sell a hard drive to my friend, but before I do that, I want to be able to wipe out my hard drive clean. I know that formatting the hard drive doesn't really do the job, I heard that I need to overwrite all of the bytes with 0's.

Is there a program or a method that I can use to do this? Thank you all in advance!

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Derek's Boot and Nuke is a very popular, free, tool that does this. It boots up a small linux kernel from a CD or Floppy and can wipe your drive to Department of Defense standards if you want it to.

DeViLdUdE said:
does Fdisk count Mr experts??? thats what I do and goes to zero bytes used too:)

Sorry That won't work.....

All Fdisk does is delete the partition table, However some tools can rebuild the partition tableeven after Fdisk has deleted the partition table.

What they are talking about is Writing a 0 Byte (As data held on a HD as binary EG. 010001110101010100) To every part of the disk platter. This Essenctially renders the disk unreadable by most commercially avalible recovery tool.

Obviously the Best recovery tools are in the hands of the FBI/CIA and NSA... And these tools can recover information under even the most extreem circumstances.

jnex26 said:
Sorry That won't work.....

All Fdisk does is delete the partition table, However some tools can rebuild the partition tableeven after Fdisk has deleted the partition table.

What they are talking about is Writing a 0 Byte (As data held on a HD as binary EG. 010001110101010100) To every part of the disk platter. This Essenctially renders the disk unreadable by most commercially avalible recovery tool.

Obviously the Best recovery tools are in the hands of the FBI/CIA and NSA... And these tools can recover information under even the most extreem circumstances.
Oh super Good Info...
so the real disk eraser is what the guys said above

well there are ways to just destory it...but you know......thats if you ONLY want to get rid of it..

*ehemshotgunehem*

Why just use zeros??? With the linux utility 'shred' you can write random bytes over a file however many times you want. Then at the final pass you can specify it to write zeros to hide the fact that you did anything.

Back