Completely confused as to Server 2003 SBS licensing

jasonlitka

2[H]4U
Why do they make this so complex?

Some background, we have 22 client computers in the office and about 35 people who use them. Office employees have their own computers but the ones in the warehouse are shared. It seems to me that it would be better if I went with device CALs instead of user CALs, right? If a user connects to Exchange from home using OWA, would he/she need an additional device license or is that only for systems directly connected to the domain?

Ultimately, what I need to know is if I have a copy of SBS Premium w/ 5 device CALs and then purchase 20 more device CALs, can I have more than 25 email accounts in Exchange (I need about 50 because some people handle multiple accounts)?

Also, if I accidentally go over the limit of device/user CALs, will SBS cut me off or just start screaming like older versions?

Help please.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that most warehouse employees will NOT have email addresses and will be sharing a common user login.

The best thing to do is contact your vendor or Microsoft. They will help you so that you get exactly what is needed or erquired.

Well, I don't have a specific vendor that I buy software from. This is the first time it's been my responsibility to buy server software. In previous positions it was always someone else's poor luck to get stuck buying Microsoft products.

In any case, I called MS as you suggested. The guy I talked to recommended that I get all user CALs, although that seems stupid to me, especially when only a small percentage of my users (maybe 5 out of 35) will be working from home. I'm probably going to go with the 5 built-in licenses as user licenses and then purcahse 20 extra device licenses, that should cover everything.

Oh, and the answer to my other question is "no", you can create as many email accounts and users as you want.

SBS licensing can get complex but that depends on your specific needs and user licensing *could* be the better way to go depending on your user base.

First thing to help you is answer the following:

1. How many computers are onsite?
2. How many Users?
3. How many users will need remote access?
3A. Of those users, how many will access SBS through a PDA, home computer etc?

After getting those answers I can answer most any licensing question you may have.

1. 22 Windows XP Pro computers
2. About 35 users (obviously we'll determine this exactly before we buy), although 7 or 8 in the warehouse will all share a common login for the shipping computers and will not have email.
3 & 3a. None will need remote access to their machines, but 4 or 5 of us in the office will use OWA.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

SBS licensing requires a CAL for every authenticted access to the system. IOW, normal file sharing, domain joined computers, OWA, RPC over HTTPs, and remote web workplace all require a CAL.

Which CAL type(s) you use are determined solely by how your users will be accessing resources.

User CALs allow for a user to access resources via any number of devices, e.g. home computer, PDA, etc.

Device Cals are tied to the device, so in essence OWA access from an internet kiosk "technically" requires a CAL covering that device.

In terms of your staff, if you were to allow the staff to access their email from outside the network via OWA or RPC over HTTPS, then the correct licensing type would be User CALs since that would allow the employee to access email from *any* computer they wanted to use whether it be from home, a friends house, laptop, PDA, etc.

SBS licensing manager may show up an error saying your running out of licenses, however, it can only take a best guess at how many licenses are being used and what type. You have no way of "forcing" user CALs to specific users or device CALs to devices.

Even if SBS licensing says your running out of licenses, it will not prevent access to server services nor will it shut down or anything like that.

You can enter as many users / email addresses as you wish. Just be aware that you can have a maximum of 75 user CALs, or 75 Device CALs, or a mix of device and user CALs.

So it really depends on your current business needs and future business needs as to how many CALs and what type to purchase.

Back