complete retards to buy a G70!!

Skrying said:
So then why not go with AMD where you have just as good a chipset, better performance, cheaper FPS per dollar, and less heat issues?
That would be my question too.

Its nice technology, but these top of the range cards...dont they only ever make about twelve of these and ten of them go to hardware review sites? :) I think it was Tom's HW that complained they were tired of reviewing cards that only existed in ATI and Nvidia's R&D labs

I'd never pay $600+ myself. I'd wait 6 months so there was something worthwhile out to run on it and pay $300. :)

I'm very picky with games. Graphics only count for around 30% of the fun for me. There has to be a game, not just fancy shader effects.

Selecter said:
1I dont care hat much about OC'ing anymore, and at age 42 I really dont give a shet about how 733t I am to a 15 yr old. I just want a computer that does not BOMB, FREEZE, or other wise have any problems in the build or getting everything to run right. I'll sacrefice a few FPS for trouble free setup and use.

Properly done overclocking does not cause your computer to bomb, freeze, or have other problems. Part of overclocking involves torturing the hell out of the finished rig to make sure it's 110% stable. Of course you can also do things like take a Venice 3200 and run it up to speeds over those of the top end chips unoverclocked - while still being completely stable.

And the little punkers usually wouldn't know a prime torture test if it kicked them in the nuts, so please don't let the abundance of prepubescent idiots set you off a perfectly sound method for getting much more out of your computer, often at a reduced cost.

DejaWiz said:
Not everyone likes consoles. I, in fact, hate them. I feel a PC is a much more versatile device than a console that runs games. I do so much more with my PC than play games on. I chat with other users, I check and write emails, I can see how my 401k investment portfolio is doing, I do my job at work, I can post replies on [H]forum, I can buy stuff online, hell I can even use the telephone through broadband if I wanted to. I know of no console ever created or coming out soon that can even come close to the versatility of a PC. When comparing apples to apples, the PC always wins, despite the cost.

Yes, I fully agree. But what does your vid card do beside gaming?

So let me get this straight: Whoever buys the latest and greatest video card is a complete retard? Now what about those who build new systems -- or those who get new parts for their computers -- in order to play the latest games... are they complete retards too? Now I didn't buy a new video card, but I've spent more than enough money over the past three months on stuff that I didn't need (as well as on stuff that I didn't even use) to not only buy the 7800GTX, but also a copy of BF2 at my local CompUSA store! So by your definition, I must be absolutely, completely, and totally fucking retarded for wasting money on stuff I don't even need.

But here's the thing: I enjoy the fact that my new stuff helps my computer run better. And my friends and family are enjoying the parts that I gave them. Me? I didn't think that having the "latest and greatest" video card was going to help me much, so I beefed up the other parts of my computer with that money. Others just gotta have those pretty pictures and everything else pushed to the max. To each their own.

The newest video cards have always come out at $500+ for well over the past several years -- this is nothing new. You know that a retail copy of Photoshop costs about the same as the 7800GXT, right? You can also find copies of MS Office on eBay for around the same price as your lovely video card. How many "retards" do you know that bought Photoshop (or Illustrator, or anything else that Adobe/Macromedia/Microsoft makes)? Or something from Alienware, Falcon Northwest, or one of the other specialty computer stores? Or, better yet, how many "retards" bought new cars (or new parts for their cars) -- even though the cars they currently have still work fine? Have you done anything like that recently?

So how about this: I'll get off my high horse about doing whatever I feel like doing as long as you quit claiming the moral high ground on this issue. Deal?

I feel that the very title of this thread is an utter disgrace. People who condemn those for buying expensive things like a 7800GTX are just jealous because they don't have as much money. Well fortunately these kinds of loosers don't run the world, otherwise we would be living in a communist nightmare where innovation and personal sovereignty is outlawed.
I realize that I may never have the kind of money to buy really high end hardware, but that doesn't mean that nobody else should be allowed to. :rolleyes:

I have a great deal of respect for those who buy flagship products because it is people like them who are pushing technology to move forward. If not for the PC gaming community, the technology industry would be nowhere nearly as advanced as it is today. Therefore, I salute those who are willing to invest in new technology as it is they who are the pioneers who help push society forward.

Pc gaming to me has lost its charm.

I'm with BickRaven I have done my last PC upgrade. Unless something new comes along.

I'm tired of the same old crap If the next gen consoles comes though like they promise it will be all I need. You guy's can have the $600 and $700 video cards to get a game to run 5 FPS faster. If my 6800 ultra cant run it then to heck with the game. I'm tired of feeding the computer money pit myself.

My last computer cost me $1600 from Compaq its a Gamer X. Then the Monitor I just bought was $475. $2000 to play a $50 game :eek:

Give me a $300 console on my Samsung HDTV and I will be happy and it will be cheaper.

Well, at the end of the day, your mighty Nvidia GXX, Ati R5XX whatever hardware you pick, it comes down to games.

Now here's a little stat for you. With the console market looking to expand to $8 billion in the next four years, and the PC market looking to decline to a measly $1 billion.

The trend already started, half life 2 was the last PC games I bought vs my 30 something for my console. I am not the only gamer who feels this way.

Yes I enjoy pc gaming as well, just not as much as I used to. Now come this Nov, when xbox 360 hits, and followed by ps3 both will offer me 1280 w 4xAA or more with all candy one, please give me 1 reason why I should continue to spend all this money on Pc hardware for gaming, that will at best get 2 - 3 games based on new game engines, that will be avail on consoles as well.

All the cool stuff, hardware, software gaming wise is happening on the consoles, take a look at the xbox 360, the Gpu is Far ahead of anything on pc for a while, but even when pcs do catch up, not everyone will have the stomach to swallow the stiff $500 Ati or Nvidia will ask for these new cards, nor will developers make games that fully push them.

Before you all gang up on me, please take a look at all the latest games coming to a friendly $299 console near you, then tell me why I should again spend this type of money.

1116361333.jpg

03.jpg

BlckRaven said:
A Quadro 3400 is for digital content creation. If you apply yourself, you can learn some serious 3d apps, make some money. that's an investment. An overpriced vid game card is just that.....gaming. which can be done on a next gen console...for 1/2 the price.

It's a matter of preference that's all.

So before you guys start twisting your panties, if you have money to blow on a 7800 , by all means, treat yourself to that. more power to you.

I have noticed a pattern on pc vid cards, they come out they cost a ton. ie I bought my 9800 pro a few years back for $360, then later on I got a 6800 for $300, I enjoyed both, but none were $600 to start with. why is premiun now $600...that was my main point...price. it's too much for me. by the time games that can use the so called new features come out esp on Pc, better, cheaper cards are out.

Ok now thats enough. I purchased this card becuase it can play games at my monitors naitive resolution with all eye candy on at breathtaking speed.

I purchased it because I can use it for video capture so I can archive my home movies on DVD

I aquired it because I can and I enjoy playing with cutting edge hardware and becuase 600 dollars to me is like spending 100 to you. I know that 100 is not unreasonable to you to spend on a vid card.

Granted my statement on what 600 is to me versus you is arbitrary but I think you get the point

BlckRaven said:
Am i the only one who finds this $600 for a vidcard ridiculous ??? serioulsy.

what gaming on pc requires this ??? I have a 6800NU it runs half life 2 fine.

Now before some jump and say unreal 2007, by the time this comes out , there will be better vid cards out.. I just can't stomach the $600 pricetag.

I won't even mention how xbox360 and ps3 which will provide a better gaming experience, better games than most pc games. Nvidia with its crazy prices, has just pushed me into console gaming for good.

Now like most of you, I love my hardware, but to buy a card just for the sake of " my 3dmark05 is bigger than yours is plain retarded. ! "

I look forward to a nice next gen console this xmas, I will use my pc for photoshop, video edits, web browsing.

Well I paid $400 for my radeon 9700 pro, $730 for my x800xt-pe, $900 for sli'd 6800 ultra's, and am about to drop $600 now on one 7800gtx than another one later...phase change was $450 up front, $400 to get it modded, chip $276, mobo $226 when it first came out, case $300, I have 4GB of $200-400 Mushkin sitting in front of me...I will pay for a product that performs, period.

Bottom line: Your 6800nu simply CAN'T run hl2 at what I consider to be "fine"

1900x1200, 4xAA, 16xAF reflect all, everything maxed.

Nor can it run Far cry at those settings, nor Doom 3 at ultra, nor BF2 at those settings, nor anything else to be released. I have a good job, low expenses, plenty of stock and savings, donate a large amount to charity, and nothing else to use the money for.

It's my hobby. Who are you to tell me how to spend my money anyway? And who the hell do you think you are calling me a complete retard because I have more cash than you?

While I don't necessarily agree with the harshness of the thread title, it really depends on what floats your boat. I did exactly what USMC2HARD4U just did back in '98. Last PC was a 486 DX2/66 so I jumped on the latest and greatest : BX6, P2-400, 256MB, Pure3D II, AWE64 Gold, 2x4.5GB Cheetahs w/2940UW, miro DC30 plus. Cost an arm and a leg, but boy did firing up Unreal in all its glory feel good :cool:. Of course, you better believe its value depreciated fast (esp. since Intel stuck it to me by releasing the Celly 300A a little later).

Since then, I go for the sweet spot stuff (mobile Barton --> mobile Celly --> S754 3000+, Ti4400 --> 9800 Pro). So cutting edge doesn't work too well for me (that '98 PC was "sponsored" :D) but it works for others. Big whoop.

Personally, if the Xbox360 and PS3 turn out to be as powerful as some folks are saying they'll be and if someone decides to add keyboard/mouse support to them, I'd rather get both of them + HDTV. My current system (m6805) does everything I need it do aside from gaming. Besides, isn't Elderscrolls 4 coming out on the Xbox360 first? :p

tagler said:
see the problem is there are people, like that have posted before and bashed this guy, that will pay anything to ATI/Nvidia for the newest card, just because. now this creates problems, it drives prices up across the board and makes PC gaming too exclusive, 5-10 years ago the top cards were not this much. just wait, i bet they'll get up to 1,000 in the next 3-5 years, then your "average" card will be like 300-400, way too much for your "average" pc gamer, esp me
Yes, there is a problem about the prices being higher than they were 10 years ago, but the "average" video card has also averaged between $250 and $400 since then. I don't think that PC gaming is becoming exclusive anytime soon, though, if you consider the fact that the PC game currently costs the same as an XBOX or a PS2 game. (Expansion packs, though, are another story that I won't touch here....) What I don't understand is why you guys are bitching about people who want to buy the newest cards by saying that they're wasting their money and driving the prices up. It would be like one of us calling Paris Hilton a slut because she wears Gucci and Prada but we could only afford Old Navy. (Not that she isn't, but.... :rolleyes: )

BlckRaven said:
Am i the only one who finds this $600 for a vidcard ridiculous ??? serioulsy.

what gaming on pc requires this ??? I have a 6800NU it runs half life 2 fine.

Now before some jump and say unreal 2007, by the time this comes out , there will be better vid cards out.. I just can't stomach the $600 pricetag.

I won't even mention how xbox360 and ps3 which will provide a better gaming experience, better games than most pc games. Nvidia with its crazy prices, has just pushed me into console gaming for good.

Now like most of you, I love my hardware, but to buy a card just for the sake of " my 3dmark05 is bigger than yours is plain retarded. ! "

I look forward to a nice next gen console this xmas, I will use my pc for photoshop, video edits, web browsing.
I totally agree 100% with everything in this post.

I have come to the conclusion that PC gaming is WAY too expensive. You have to spend too much money to upkeep with the generation of games. Where as you can just buy a $500 console and be good for like 4 years. Moreover, console gaming has advanced immensly. Consoles finally offer efficient internet gaming so you can play multiplayer whenever you want.

I'm done with PC gaming. I will buy a PS3, Nintendo Rev, and a cheap PC or Apple as my next computer. Sufficient enough to run Warcraft 3, Starcraft, and Counterstrike as well as play music, movies, surf the internet, use MSN messenger, and do word processing. That's all I care about.

This is just the way my mindset is these days. I haven't been posting much on [H] anymore. I've been too busy partying with friends because we've just finished high school. And everytime I go to play CS:S for a bit, I only play for like 10 minutes before I lose interest. I dunno what it is, but it's just how I feel. One of my high school teachers is a hardcore computer geek (mainly apple). Anyways he always tells me "Why buy a $500 video card that will be outdated in 6 months?, go buy a Playstation for $300 and play it for like 4 years". And he's absolutely right.

Mojo said:
I'm done with console gaming. I will buy a PS3, Nintendo Rev, and a cheap PC or Apple as my next computer. Sufficient enough to run Warcraft 3, Starcraft, and Counterstrike as well as play music, movies, surf the internet, use MSN messenger, and do word processing. That's all I care about.

ermmmm contradictions? ur done with console gaming... but ur gonna buy 2 consoles. Your getting a cheap pc, but u have a ~almost~ top of the line system right now.... wtf dude?

I feel that the very title of this thread is an utter disgrace. People who condemn those for buying expensive things like a 7800GTX are just jealous because they don't have as much money. Well fortunately these kinds of loosers don't run the world, otherwise we would be living in a communist nightmare where innovation and personal sovereignty is outlawed.

As previously stated, I did realize the title was harsh and apologized to those offended by it.

Now, myself at one point, I was into all this spending crazy loot on pc hardware, only to realize that current games, just dont push my hardware. I look at the upcoming games on consoles, only to realize that it would cost me again another $2000 to get a hot pc to run them. Look at the performance jump that you get on these new cards say from a 9800 pro, since when is a 6800 a bad card to cause most of you to dump them on Ebay, only to get some 7800 that you can brag to your buddies regarding 3dmark score.

One thing to remember about those screenshots - the final games won't look that good.

elite.mafia said:
ermmmm contradictions? ur done with console gaming... but ur gonna buy 2 consoles. Your getting a cheap pc, but u have a ~almost~ top of the line system right now.... wtf dude?
Yeah I meant to say PC games.

I'm not getting a new computer. I'm going to let this one become a dinosaur. Then see where it goes from there.

wait we are all stupid we could be using $20 ti4200s cause they will still run HL2!!! OMG I'm a retard for payign $300 for a 6800nu that will last me another 2 years not brekaing much of a sweat until i go pci-e and get my 64bit system.. OMFG

$600 is alot and I liek to go get an above-average card but some people can use them. Liek thinka bout the people runnign those damn 30" monitors....they can seriosuly use them...

About the AMD vs. Intel thing - The current rage seems to be the DFi Lanparty boards which require 4 (!!!!!!) power connections and the stiffest damn power supply money with twin 12Volt rails can buy to run them with any hope of success.....they are also quite picky on RAM.

I just dont see all the trouble in the Intel camp. My first paid job in this business was age 18 working on Mac IIcx's and PC XT's, and I've probably built around 2 thousand boxes in the last 20+ years. I love hardware and the nuts and bolts stuff so I keep doing it even tho there's no real money in it. I make about 40K a year.

I'm tired of fuzting around with some cranky BIOS or getting a new bench score. I used to like that shit back in the days of the Celeron 300A, but I'm sick of that now. I just want to pout the thing together and have it work. I see more of that on the Intel side of things.

Also, the *possibility* that I can run OS X on a PC when someone does the hack that sure to come I think goes up a lot with a Intel chipset board. I want to keep that option as open as I can. Windows SUCKS compared to OS X, IMO.

I think AMD's processors are superior to Intels, but the difference is no longer that important to me. If lose 30 fps to some X2 down the street, so be it. If I can still run the game at >60fps average, WTF is the practical difference?

If my oc'ed 2500 mobile @ 2.5ghz and 6800GT can last me without blowing up for another year I think I will skip this generation of upgrades completely and perhaps buy an X2 and crossfire (depending) when prices come down. Paying $1000 or more for a 15-20% increase in speed is just a huge waste to me, not to mention other things I would rather not say...

I hate these types of threads. I mean, what do people care what other people do with their hard earned money?? The ONLY reason I see someone making a thread like this is because they can't afford one and they really wish they could. Because seriously, if people want to buy it, why should it matter to you?

Jealousy. This is America. The OP should not have to bear the jealousy associated with other people buying high-end stuff he can't afford. The correct course of action is to sue nVidia and every retailer carrying nVidia products for damages associated with psychological trauma.

BlckRaven said:
As previously stated, I did realize the title was harsh and apologized to those offended by it.
sry about that. I should have read through the earlier posts more cafefully :D .

We all have our own opinions, and sometimes I get a little overly passionate about mine.

I used to be a dedicated Nintendo f_nboy, but the Gamecube left me thoroughly unsatisfied so I decided to move over to PC gaming about a year ago and I haven't looked back (even despite not having the best hardware around).

Selecter said:
About the AMD vs. Intel thing - The current rage seems to be the DFi Lanparty boards which require 4 (!!!!!!) power connections and the stiffest damn power supply money with twin 12Volt rails can buy to run them with any hope of success.....they are also quite picky on RAM.

My single 12v rail power supply is powering my overclocked, 3.2ghz 3500+ @1.85v phase changed, 6800U sli'd, DFI SLI-dr, 2GB Memory computer without the fan spinning up.

My memory is 2x 512mb pc3500 BH5 and 2x512mb pc3200 TCCD running AT THE SAME TIME for a total of 2gb overclocked to 460mhz 2.5-3-3-7 with 3.0v.

Don't bitch about hardware you don't have :)

Selecter said:

I just dont see all the trouble in the Intel camp. My first paid job in this business was age 18 working on Mac IIcx's and PC XT's, and I've probably built around 2 thousand boxes in the last 20+ years. I love hardware and the nuts and bolts stuff so I keep doing it even tho there's no real money in it. I make about 40K a year.

I'm tired of fuzting around with some cranky BIOS or getting a new bench score. I used to like that shit back in the days of the Celeron 300A, but I'm sick of that now. I just want to pout the thing together and have it work. I see more of that on the Intel side of things.

Also, the *possibility* that I can run OS X on a PC when someone does the hack that sure to come I think goes up a lot with a Intel chipset board. I want to keep that option as open as I can. Windows SUCKS compared to OS X, IMO.

I think AMD's processors are superior to Intels, but the difference is no longer that important to me. If lose 30 fps to some X2 down the street, so be it. If I can still run the game at >60fps average, WTF is the practical difference?

Who the hell said you needed to get the DFI board? The only people really need that board are those planning on OCing, other than that I would not recommend it. There's a ton of great consumer level boards out there that are extremely good performers and dont have the enthusaist troubles of the DFI.

Another thing, an A64 can do anything a P4 can. Also the move wont be happening till 2006 anyway. Plus, if you like OS X so much why not just buy a Mac in the first place? Oh wait, so you already have one, so just use that for everything else and use your PC for games, that simple. So therefore you'd be better off getting the AMD chip for better all around performance.

Clownboat said:
Jealousy. This is America. The OP should not have to bear the jealousy associated with other people buying high-end stuff he can't afford. The correct course of action is to sue nVidia and every retailer carrying nVidia products for damages associated with psychological trauma.

I'd laugh, and did the first few years after I figured out this was the way America really was. But now it's just depressing.

Pro3, WTF?? 460MHz? Are you sure you don't mean DDR460? Cuz 460MHz is kinda...extreme. I think low to mid 300s is about tops unless you pull some kind of submersion thing. Then again I'm sleepy and I may be forgetting some similarly brainpopping results.

If you've got the money to throw at it, Robberbaron's getting some 1GB Crucial Ballistix sticks in soon. The value line stuff hit a pretty fricking high overclock especially for a 1GB stick, and we're hoping the Ballistix line stuff can do so with even better timings. Keep an eye out if you're interested. ^_^

Skrying said:
Plus, if you like OS X so much why not just buy a Mac in the first place?
I'd have to assume it's because Apple charges thousands of dollars in overhead on their machines. It's because that shiny white paint is derived from Kryptonite, an extremely rare ore from another solar system.

Clownboat said:
I'd have to assume it's because Apple charges thousands of dollars in overhead on their machines. It's because that shiny white paint is derived from Kryptonite, an extremely rare ore from another solar system.
AHAH ROFL

Best post Ever :)

USMC2Hard4U said:
Wont fit in the case. I would mod but I have to make sure everything is Vapochill Ready :)

Also, I would get a bigger monitor, but instead, i will just get another of the same monitor in the Future. Maybe 2 more if I feel like it.

Dont want to go SLI. I would rather Have SCSI Raid occupying the other slot.

I cant wait for it. I cannot wait.

So am I retarded to buy a G70? no. I am comming from a system that has a 9700 Pro. I want the best their is of course.

You can spend your money on whatever the hell you feel like buddy. and thanks. Thanks for defending my right to bus tables so I can one day too afford a 600 dollar video card, thanks.

He went and risked getting shot, blown up, poisoned, etc, as well as a lot of sweat & sunburn; all for that $6k rig. So I guess it all comes down to how badly you want that computer.

I think $600 is a lot too, but if you have the cash and nothing else to do with the money and you like gaming, it's not that bad since any hobby can get expensive.

Though, the $600 price really bugs me because when I started getting into gaming it was around the GF3 release, which was $399 retail and on the day of release it was easy to find under that, like $360.

When the 9700pro came out it was $399, ordered for that. Then shortly after that the cards suddently jumped to $499 when the first 256mb card was released, 9800XT, at least it had an excuse with the extra ram, but not needed then.

Then the X800 and 6800 come out with little quantity causing price gauging on an already expensive product.

Now for no reason the 7800 has jumped to $600 and it doesn't even have the excuse of having 512mb. Why isn't it $499 with the 6800 Ultra at $399.

What happened to the days like when the $399 GF3 came out and was cheaper than list retail on release day. In fact the GF2 ultra was more expensive, $499 at that point. So suddently Nvidia released their next card $100 under their current top card. I wonder why they didn't release the GF3 for the price of the GF2 Ultra and drop that card down to $399.

Maybe that will happen soon, seems like there is a bubble building up in prices like the housing market, hopefully soon it will burst and the prices drop down again to the $399 or lower mark, hopefully the next gen consoles will cause this to happen.

Oh, and even though people spend $600 for this card, they can still sell their old card to recover half the costs or more depending.

Back