Complete n00b to Remote Desktop Connection

Safarji

Gawd
I really wanna use the Remote Desktop Connection feature in WinXP Pro

I have never used it before and do not know what to do.

Scenario -

Computer 1, Computer 2 both on the same closed network, same workgroup, both running XP Pro. 10mBit LAN via hub.

Can I use computer 1 to view computer 2's desktop, vice versa?

What I want to be able to do eventually, is have Remote Desktop Connection running on a XP Pro server without a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc and be able to access it via the internet and LAN.

I have no idea, please help me!

Yep, that's exactly how it works. Have you enabled it yet on both machines? It's in the system control pannel under remote.

Ok, I go to browse for computers, click on the only workgroup available, which is MSHOME and get this error message.

error.jpg

I can see computer 1 on computer 2, and the other way via Network Neighbourhood

what happens when you type in the ip of the computer instead of browsing?

do you have the firewall turned on?

1.jpg

well after this screen, it comes up with the prompt for user name and password like it should, so it is obviously acknowledging that the ip is valid for the other computer. But the computers dont have passwords. So I type in the username of the other computer (the active administrator account) and leave the password blank and I get this message.

'The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, the type your password again'

Do I have to setup user accounts (username password) specifically for RDC on each computer, or should it just be able to use the existing user accounts (one on each computer enabled as administrator)?

Whats the significance of the following?

2.jpg

3.jpg

In remote desktop all user accounts that are allowed access cannot have a blank password. Enter a password on your account and try again.

SJConsultant said:
In remote desktop all user accounts that are allowed access cannot have a blank password. Enter a password on your account and try again.

ok, I can see i'm gonna have to break it down. I tried a password but it still doesn't work :confused:

COMPUTER1 has one user account, with administrative rights, and the number '1' as the password.

COMPUTER2 has one user account, with administrative rights, and the number '1' as the password.

Both are connected on 10mbps LAN, they are the only 2 computers on the lan.
Both have file sharing active, can see each other on the network.
Both are in the same workgroup.
Both have remote desktop connection enabled.

I know it's probably a straight forward issue, but I really cant get it to work, in my mind it should. I originally thought it was a 'win95 like' network problem where the network takes ages to kick in sometimes. But these computer have used ICS without problems?

Thanks

Have you considered using a 3rd party utility like TightVNC? It's always worked great on my LAN. Plus it's open source, so you can control your server from a *nix box if you ever need to or vice-versa. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I've never tried the remote desktop connection and this sounds like this might do the job.

phixt said:
Have you considered using a 3rd party utility like TightVNC? It's always worked great on my LAN. Plus it's open source, so you can control your server from a *nix box if you ever need to or vice-versa. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I've never tried the remote desktop connection and this sounds like this might do the job.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

I have the exact setup you are looking to accomplish. I have my desktop(ftp, webserver) plugged into my router and an electrical outlet. Nothing else. No keyboard, mouse, monitor, nada. I use my laptop to control it via remote desktop. My advice is to change the network names in the control panel to something like box1 and box2 or whatever you want, I personally use "desktop" as the network name for my desktop, and "laptop" for the network name for my laptop. So when I open remote connection in start->programs->accessories->communcation-> remote desktop, all i have to type in is "desktop" and connect from my laptop and vice versa. Make sure the firewall is turned off on both computers.

atomic3 said:
I have the exact setup you are looking to accomplish. I have my desktop(ftp, webserver) plugged into my router and an electrical outlet. Nothing else. No keyboard, mouse, monitor, nada. I use my laptop to control it via remote desktop. My advice is to change the network names in the control panel to something like box1 and box2 or whatever you want, I personally use "desktop" as the network name for my desktop, and "laptop" for the network name for my laptop. So when I open remote connection in start->programs->accessories->communcation-> remote desktop, all i have to type in is "desktop" and connect from my laptop and vice versa. Make sure the firewall is turned off on both computers.

So your saying change the names in the user accounts?

Whats the significance of the following?
2.jpg

3.jpg
Did you add your user account as a Remote desktop user? (on the target computer).
Clicking the Find Now button will allow you to select a user account (must have password). Do this on the actual target computer.

SJConsultant said:

Exactly just make another account strictly for RDP and you should be good to go!

Back