Competition to IBM X40?

dacali

n00b
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
21
I've been looking to replace my Dell D600 (P-M 1.6, 512MB, 40GB, 14.1", < 5 lbs.) with something that is smaller, lighter, and tougher. I take my laptop to all my classes right now, and it's a bit too heavy for my liking. The outside cover seems to be getting scratched up, but that's purely cosmetic. Is there anything that's in direct competition with the IBM X40/X41? My main requirements are light, tough, small (~12" screen) with a Pentium M processor. Gaming is NOT an issue. I would prefer something under $1500, the lower the better, of course.

If I was to purchase a new laptop, approximately how much do you think my current laptop would be worth? It currently has 2 years remaining on its next-business-day on-site warrenty.

-Dacali
 
perhaps the 700m? definately in your price range, and I hear its actually pretty sturdy
 
if you're willing to give Macs a chance, check out the 12" powerbook.
 
Thanks for the replies! The Asus S5N seems to fit my requirements fairly well. I'll be sure to look more into that one. The Dell 700m and Powerbook 12" are a bit on the heavy side compared to the X40. My only concern is the finish on the Asus might get scratched up although I should probably get a laptop skin to protect it regardless of my choice.

How well does PC software run on a MAC? There's some custom software I need to use for my classes which I doubt runs natively on a MAC.

Anyone know if IBM offers educational discounts to students or not? With IBM's PC line being sold to Lenovo, does this affect their quality or warrenty service?

-Dacali
 
You could check through your school to see if IBM has student discounts. It seems that lots of people on these forums have done that, and saved a far bit of money.
 
Thanks again for the responses. I'll be sure to give them a call on Monday.

-Dacali
 
if you have any luck, be sure to post it here. im REALLY looking to buy an X41 or T42/3. and would MUCH prefer a 30-40% discount, having barely enough to afford it AFTER the discount.
 
From the IBM website, it looks like students get a 10% discount. Not much, but better than nothing. If you know someone that works for IBM, the EPP (Employee Purchase Program) offers 25% discounts.

-Dacali
 
You need to check with your individual school's bookstore/ computer store. I know at my university I'm getting about 25% off of the t43p that I'm about to order. These discount's are administered by the school and they are not listed on IBM's website.
 
I just picked up a pcg-tr2a by Sony, this thing is gorgeous. 10.6" widescreen (1280x768) lcd, 3.1lbs with built in optical drive...wow.

Highly recommended thus far, and updated models have even better features (802.11g instead of b, little faster burner I believe).

I didn't even pay much for this one, traded a ~$600 lappy + $200 for this laptop and a 3.5" 80gig desktop hd.
 
Back
Top