• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Compatible or ???

LPA

n00b
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
3
Hi all. This is my first post here, so I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong part of the forum.

I just bought a WD 500GB SATA-drive (WD Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500 GB).

I'm having some troubles locating the drive in WinXP.

Installation and finding it in BIOS was easy. (If I haven't done anything wrong.) Setting it as a PATA-drive.

I have a Intel P4 3Ghz machine with Corsair 2x512Mb Mem, on an Abit IC7-MAX3 motherboard. I have allready installed a WD 120Gb UltraDMA HDD on one cable and a DVD-drive and a DVD-RW-drive on the other.

I have installed the SATA-drive on SATA port number 1.

But I still can't find the HDD in WinXP.

Anyone have a solution to my problem ?

Thanks in advance

LPA
 
Thanks. I have tried just that. But the disk doesn't show up in WinXP at all.

That's why I'm kinda currious to if the disk and motherboard is compatible.

LPA
 
LPA said:
Thanks. I have tried just that. But the disk doesn't show up in WinXP at all.

That's why I'm kinda currious to if the disk and motherboard is compatible.

LPA
you might need to install some SATA drivers
do you have SP2 installed?
 
Some SATA drivers. Okay. Got it. But do I get them at the manufactures web or motherboard web ? Or either?

I have the latest SP installed so I don't think that's why it's acting up.
 
The Sata drivers (if needed) are on the motherboard manufacturers support website for your mobo model.

After that, go into "start->settings->control panel->administrative tools->computer management->disk management" and partition and format your drive and give it a drive letter.
 
Come to think of it, it might be as easy as removing or putting a jumper to make it SATA1 and not SATAII mode on your harddrive. You drive might be SATAII and is jumpered for that. See if you can find that info and jumper it to SATA1 since your mobo has an (older) SATA1 controller and not SATAII.
 
Back
Top