• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Compatibility Check and Question on Pairing

Joined
Sep 4, 2007
Messages
8
I don't post much on these boards, but have read them for a LONG time. I use to be a hardware junkie, until I became a programmer and father.

I am trying to get a new video card and power supply for my son, a cost effective solution. He plays CoDMW and BattleField and needs a bit more power.

I was looking at getting ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133266
PNY VCGGTS2501XPB GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W

I was looking at the card power requirements and it recommends 24a on the 12v rail (i thought that to be a bit much, but saw this power supply is boasting a 50a on the 12v rail). I have a Rosewill 550w that is a couple years old and haven't had an issue with the product, I run a XFX Geforce 260 GT? Stripped drives, Intel CPU...blah blah blah.

Anyway, never have had issues my machine. I want to make sure I am reading all this correctly and getting something that is going to work. Can someone who has stayed current with hard gimme a bit of feedback?

Thanks in advance.
 
I recommend this PSU instead (don't forget the promo code for 20% off): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

You are more or less understanding the requirements correctly. Two things to keep in mind:
-Video card manufacturer power requirements are usually more than the card actually needs. Look up reviews to get an idea of what power consumption is like (but take things with a grain of salt).
-The quality of the PSU definitely factors into this. A PSU's rating does not always reflect its true ability to supply power, so make sure you always get a unit that has been reviewed properly or that has been confirmed to be a quality product.
 
Back
Top