Comparing Canadas Military to Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonkrowave

2[H]4U
If Canadas sea forces were in warcraft we would be the giant turtles.

As A Canadian I am very disapointed and disgusted in Canadas Military purchases. First off the whole sea king mistake. These stupid aging aircraft require 8 hours of maintance for evey hour they are in the air. Not to mention we cancelled the order and ended up paying more in cancelling fees then we would have had we just received the aircraft. On top of that Canada tries to help out the US by sending ships in a command role and the first one we send launches a seaking which immediatly just crashes on deck so the ship has to return with its tail between its legs

Now we buy 4 gaint sea turtles and we cant even cross the pound without one catching fire and killing crewmen. For the price we paid for these 20 year old subs we could have bought 2 brand spanking new nuclear subs with 0 mileage.

Canadas military is in poor condition. Now we did set this isn motion by cancelling the avro arrow but we could have turned it around at some point.

No ones seems to realize we have the most natural resources in the world. Im not talking oil. In 10 year we are going to see a shortage of clean drinking water something which we have the most off. Not to mention timber and actually now to think of it all the oil in the tar sands.

So my question is .... do we plan on defending ourselves with sea turtles. We may as well have a sign saying ... come get us

Oh and I forgot to mention we had to borrow uniforms for afganistan because we have no desert fatigues ... even though we just bought new digital forest / jungle fatiques. Did no one realize the forests and jungles are not the abttlezone of the future.. Urban areas and deserts are.

Politically, Canada needs no army. They have the USA watching them. They'd rather spend their money on what they do best, whatever that may be. We have sports teams in Canada for christ sake.

My question is what the hell does this have to do with gaming? on a computer forum? if what you say is true, i am sorry for what you have to go through in Canada... but this thread kinda made me chuckle when i read it. :rolleyes:

MrWoot said:
My question is what the hell does this have to do with gaming? on a computer forum? if what you say is true, i am sorry for what you have to go through in Canada... but this thread kinda made me chuckle when i read it. :rolleyes:

You failed to make the association between Canada's lacking military and the giant sea turtles in Warcraft. Read his post again.

bonkrowave said:

As A Canadian I am very disapointed and disgusted in Canadas Military purchases. First off the whole sea king mistake. These stupid aging aircraft require 8 hours of maintance for evey hour they are in the air. Not to mention we cancelled the order and ended up paying more in cancelling fees then we would have had we just received the aircraft. On top of that Canada tries to help out the US by sending ships in a command role and the first one we send launches a seaking which immediatly just crashes on deck so the ship has to return with its tail between its legs

Now we buy 4 gaint sea turtles and we cant even cross the pound without one catching fire and killing crewmen. For the price we paid for these 20 year old subs we could have bought 2 brand spanking new nuclear subs with 0 mileage.

Canadas military is in poor condition. Now we did set this isn motion by cancelling the avro arrow but we could have turned it around at some point.

No ones seems to realize we have the most natural resources in the world. Im not talking oil. In 10 year we are going to see a shortage of clean drinking water something which we have the most off. Not to mention timber and actually now to think of it all the oil in the tar sands.

So my question is .... do we plan on defending ourselves with sea turtles. We may as well have a sign saying ... come get us

Oh and I forgot to mention we had to borrow uniforms for afganistan because we have no desert fatigues ... even though we just bought new digital forest / jungle fatiques. Did no one realize the forests and jungles are not the abttlezone of the future.. Urban areas and deserts are.
I never knew you guys had the most clean drinking water...since we share the great lakes I figured it was pretty even. Anyway, if a country runs out of water to drink I can tell you they will probably want to be a little more aggressive than trying to buy it lol. Since all the water in the world is connected and is constant I dont understand how the projection can be to run out of enough water for people in ten years? Maybe third world desert countries but that seems even a bit unrealistic.

You guys do have lots o trees tho

versello said:
You failed to make the association between Canada's lacking military and the giant sea turtles in Warcraft. Read his post again.

lies, i saw it... but i saw that as a weak connection to complain about canada's military.

Its obvious that clean drinking water is the next oil. How many streams / lakes are becomeing contaminated with pcbs and other chemicals. Amphibions are starting to die off in droves. The great lakes are a large source of fresh water. But the majority of canadas fresh water is outside the great lakes and further north. A map should indicate these spots with a blue-ish colour.

with a large quantity of fresh water ... the need is low therefor prices high... but as the need rises the only alternative is desalinization plants to quench demand, which are very expensive to operate. Much the same way expensive oil extraction methods such as tar sand extraction are expensive and therefore unacceptable, which leads to forceably attaining oil. .... as we see now

bonkrowave said:
Its obvious that clean drinking water is the next oil. How many streams / lakes are becomeing contaminated with pcbs and other chemicals. Amphibions are starting to die off in droves. The great lakes are a large source of fresh water. But the majority of canadas fresh water is outside the great lakes and further north. A map should indicate these spots with a blue-ish colour.
Further north? Isnt it frozen all the time? Anyway, the great lakes should suit the US just fine at least. I dont see it being an issue at all in North America anyway. With all the recycling of drinking water and its all good

lol you sound so american rofl. WE ARE GONNA GET INVADED! WE NEED AN ARMY TO PROTECT US AGAINST THE THREATS !

lol seriously, we are like 20-25 millions ppl, USA's are about 15 times more! They got much more money to fund the army. We aint gonna spend billions of dollars in the army or else healthcare and other sectors would be fucked up bad.

And ok, we do got lots of drinking water, but do you want to export it?? NOO!!! IT HAS TO STAY HERE OR THE CYCLE WILL BE BROKEN LIKE MANY EUROPEAN WATER SOURCES THAT DISAPPEAR!

And by the way, why do we NEED an army? We got like no enemies and we are allied to basically all the "good" countries lol.

Sry if I suck in english, I come from the French Canada, Quebec and no im not a separatist nor an anti english guy.

The great lakes are becomming contaminated ... do you ever watch the news. How many beach closures do you see because of high feces / chemical levels. Paramount to all other chemicals being added is the run-off from animal farms. The great lakes are getting polluted .. its views like yours the ... ohh it will be fine there is so much .. that lead to problems. There was sooo much oil at one point Has no one realized that the "my generation doesn;t have to worry about", argument is not valid ???

Conflict like wars are inevitable ... reasons just change ... look to chimps or apes .. They war on neibouring tribes because of lack or resources or habitat. War will always happen .. it is not going to go away. It is the survival of the fitest. In all the animal kingdom .. which humans are part of and only prove there ignorance by trying to set a pedestal so high for themselves.

bonkrowave said:
The great lakes are becomming contaminated ... do you ever watch the news. How many beach closures do you see because of high feces / chemical levels. Paramount to all other chemicals being added is the run-off from animal farms. The great lakes are getting polluted .. its views like yours the ... ohh it will be fine there is so much .. that lead to problems. There was sooo much oil at one point Has no one realized that the "my generation doesn;t have to worry about", argument is not valid ???

Conflict like wars are inevitable ... reasons just change ... look to chimps or apes .. They war on neibouring tribes because of lack or resources or habitat. War will always happen .. it is not going to go away. It is the survival of the fitest. In all the animal kingdom .. which humans are part of and only prove there ignorance by trying to set a pedestal so high for themselves.
I am from minnesota and have gone swimming in two great lakes...i have no third arm yet and with water that damn cold i dont see how bacteria could ever thrive.

I must ask you...do you ever watch the news or pay attention to the millions upon millions of dollars in grants to fund alternative fuel source research? Don't be such an hypocritical ass.

some peoples kids ....

look where a shortage in the natural resource oil got us .... the country you live on has gone to war with another .... a lot of good all thoose grants did helping with that one.

We do, after all, live in a capitalist opportunistic soceity. The oil companies pay off companies which recieve these grants so they can keep there monopoly on the worlds dominate fuel source and additive. Ever wonder why oil companies are giving money / controlling alternative fuel source researchers ???

bonkrowave said:
some peoples kids ....

look where a shortage in the natural resource oil got us .... the country you live on has gone to war with another .... a lot of good all thoose grants did helping with that one.

We do, after all, live in a capitalist opportunistic soceity. The oil companies pay off companies which recieve these grants so they can keep there monopoly on the worlds dominate fuel source and additive. Ever wonder why oil companies are giving money / controlling alternative fuel source researchers ???
I am well aware of that but obviously some work is still being done. I worked with a few people who developed oil finding technology using computers at my last job. The way it sounds from them is it really isnt that much to worry about for a while. When you have to drill in an attempt to find oil that is a whole different story. When you can analyze the composition under the earth using computers that is another thing. Not to mention all the oil under the ocean that will definately be exploited more and more as time goes on.

huxley said:
I am from minnesota and have gone swimming in two great lakes...i have no third arm yet and with water that damn cold i dont see how bacteria could ever thrive.

I must ask you...do you ever watch the news or pay attention to the millions upon millions of dollars in grants to fund alternative fuel source research? Don't be such an hypocritical ass.

Get your "facts" straight...bacteria don't die because they get cold...

Also, as far as the monies going into alternative research...don't just look at the dollar amount when trying to formulate an argument. Look at the cash going into the education system in America...millions and millions...now look at how much extra is needed just to operate on a low level. My son's elementary school isn't going to be teaching social studies because they don't have the funding for the books...yet there are millions and millions and millions of dollars in the education system.

jubei said:
Get your "facts" straight...bacteria don't die because they get cold...

Also, as far as the monies going into alternative research...don't just look at the dollar amount when trying to formulate an argument. Look at the cash going into the education system in America...millions and millions...now look at how much extra is needed just to operate on a low level. My son's elementary school isn't going to be teaching social studies because they don't have the funding for the books...yet there are millions and millions and millions of dollars in the education system.
So "some" means that an insanely large amount of bacteria can exist in very cold conditions? I am interested in believing you but that source doesnt really force me to put any faith in what you say. Also, since you are a teacher it is hard to take your point without prejudice about school books.

Perhaps something should be done about the south controlling the school book market and we could get some decent text books in the first place. Until then, whatever. I will explain more sensibly tomorrow it is very late now

huxley said:
So "some" means that an insanely large amount of bacteria can exist in very cold conditions? I am interested in believing you but that source doesnt really force me to put any faith in what you say. Also, since you are a teacher it is hard to take your point without prejudice about school books.

Perhaps something should be done about the south controlling the school book market and we could get some decent text books in the first place. Until then, whatever. I will explain more sensibly tomorrow it is very late now

When did I say I was a teacher...especially a biology teacher? I hate biology, but that doesn't mean that I don't know biology. Perhaps something should be done in which ever region of the country you live in about placing a bit more emphasis on reading books rather than having sex with your imediate family. That would probably do a lot for your apparent underdeveloped brain and almost complete lack of cognitive abilities.

Lake Michigan Surface Temperatures.

Care to retract your statement about bacteria yet?

From the above source:

"...which can withstand prolonged drying, extreme cold, and even
boiling; and may lie inactive for days or even years."

You are wrong, and I can continue this for days...

From above source:

"...bacterial species that live all their lives in the ice of glaciers and other bacteria have often [been] found in the snows of the North and South poles."

yes one type or another of microorganism (bacteria , archea , and even small eucaryotes) can survie pretty much everywhere on earth in any kind of condition. bacteria live on and off of your soap for christ sakes , they can live in gaint salt crystals off of inpurites for centuries where nothing else could survie. the trick is that the ones in ur soap and ones not killed by hand sanatizers are not pathogenic.they are the first and will be the last life on this planet. anywho my point is that in theroy any environment on earth there is a type of microorganism that can surive and THRIVE there , weather or not its there (like in a beaker of ioclide) is different story and aurgument.

avro arrow , u realize that the only reason we canceled it is because of american pressure right? our approch to the cold war was not to make missles to shoot down other missles but to create this plane to go up and intercept them. but the states said this was a bad idea and that we should do what they were doing and use missles. weather that was a good idea or not i personaly dont care , my point is we didnt make that 'first' stupid decision on our own. and as we have seen with the panhandel agreement ppl just cant seem to say no to the states...(except TRUDEAU and CHRÉTIEN of course oh and the united nations but that doesnt seem to matter anymore)

on the canadain border (i dont know about the states so i wont talk about what i know nothing about) we close beaches when there is over 20 col. per ml , an average pop can is aloud to have 2-4 col. per ml before being recalled. there are many beaches on lake ontario that are closed for such reasons , there are also many beaches on lake ontario that are not closed , y you ask? cause they arent as polluted. yes water is connected , but if i go piss off the detriot windsor bridge it doesnt mean that tomorrow morning some kid in china is making his tea from my piss. you could very well go swiming on a 'clean beach' in a polluted lake and be fine , infact many ppl in toronto do what is called the polar bear swim in closed beaches , they too dont get sick , but do they drink it? umm no. and you realize that neither canada nor the states aquires all of its drinking water from the great lakes right? right? another smaller lake/river or underground spring is a normal source for northern ontario towns. before i get flamed i'd like to point out that i am not saying there is a shortage of fresh water in north america just that its a silly misconception to think all of our water comes from the great lakes or that the great lakes could support all of north america economicaly.

so true about that capitalistic statement , sadly the only ppl in a position to change things are greatly benifiting from the current senario.

The way it sounds from them is it really isnt that much to worry about for a while.
true if we find a way to tap this resourse (ocean) we could have alot of fosil feuls , but ur forgeting the major problem with using hydrocarbons as source of feul lol , the added carbon to the atmosphere. and again before i get some science person trying to argue the fact that the earths axis is always slowly changing and eventually they would melt anyway , it seems to be that ppl who say that always forget that as they melt in that picitular manner they are simutaniously being reformed on the other side , so its not just about speeding up a process its about creating an environment out of the normal equillbrium of the planet where it cant repair itself. now what would be cool is synthetic hydrocarbons. if you could stop drilling and start harvesting carbon from the air , add some hydrogen and just start making some mother fucking long chains. oh wait that would mean the oil intrustry would lose money, shucks...

i think at some point someone will realize (like thousands of years from now) that money isnt worth killing off every speices that uses oxygen as an electron acceptor in gathering energy. and they will start some sort of revolt. perhaps even with light sabers (one can only hope if there is a bloody rebelion it might as well be cool).

yep thats the cool thing about canada , we are on everyones side : ) here is a gaming thing and i know it means nothing cause its a game so im not using this as an example to prove anything so dont go flaming me about it cause its just a funny observation. i played this game once where u were the president of the united states and it was pretty boring , so being bored i declared neclear war on canada , all of a sudden im being attacked by everyone , stupid canada had alliances with everyone , my allies my enemies , everyone it was funny. like i said i know it means nothing but i thought it was funny.

shouldnt we be talking about the law suites involved with half-life 2 or something in here and not this?

jubei said:
When did I say I was a teacher...especially a biology teacher? I hate biology, but that doesn't mean that I don't know biology. Perhaps something should be done in which ever region of the country you live in about placing a bit more emphasis on reading books rather than having sex with your imediate family. That would probably do a lot for your apparent underdeveloped brain and almost complete lack of cognitive abilities.

Lake Michigan Surface Temperatures.

Care to retract your statement about bacteria yet?

From the above source:

"...which can withstand prolonged drying, extreme cold, and even
boiling; and may lie inactive for days or even years."

You are wrong, and I can continue this for days...

From above source:

"...bacterial species that live all their lives in the ice of glaciers and other bacteria have often [been] found in the snows of the North and South poles."
You blame me for assuming you are a teacher because you work at a school...then you assume I am uneducated because I dont know a lot about biology. I am an English tutor for cryin out loud. Also, you should know the margin for error in child created by inter family relations is not much more than having a child with someone not related. Anyway, you guys are right about the bacteria.

So where is all this bacterial contamination coming from anyway? What exactly is the debate/argument about too

huxley said:
You blame me for assuming you are a teacher because you work at a school...then you assume I am uneducated because I dont know a lot about biology. I am an English tutor for cryin out loud. Also, you should know the margin for error in child created by inter family relations is not much more than having a child with someone not related. Anyway, you guys are right about the bacteria.

So where is all this bacterial contamination coming from anyway? What exactly is the debate/argument about too

Yes, I will blame you because I don't work at a school and never said I did. I said that at my son's elementary school they are not teaching SS. How does that imply that I work at one? Does everybody that has a child in school work there? If so, I want my paychecks! Also, if you don't know about a subject, it is common sense not to argue when somebody calls you out on something. Instead, maybe go check if they are right, educate yourself a bit on the subject, then reply.

BTW, is a 43% chance what you consider "not much more?"

Refer to my above advice.

Anyway, the bacteria come from a very screwed up ecosystem because pollutants kill off certain preditors/prey/plants/etc. So, some creatures will strive while they preditors will be killed off and visa versa. Also, with more pollutants and more unnatural deaths, bacteria numbers will rise. This is just a theory though...

jubei said:
Yes, I will blame you because I don't work at a school and never said I did. I said that at my son's elementary school they are not teaching SS. How does that imply that I work at one? Does everybody that has a child in school work there? If so, I want my paychecks! Also, if you don't know about a subject, it is common sense not to argue when somebody calls you out on something. Instead, maybe go check if they are right, educate yourself a bit on the subject, then reply.

BTW, is a 43% chance what you consider "not much more?"

Refer to my above advice.

Anyway, the bacteria come from a very screwed up ecosystem because pollutants kill off certain preditors/prey/plants/etc. So, some creatures will strive while they preditors will be killed off and visa versa. Also, with more pollutants and more unnatural deaths, bacteria numbers will rise. This is just a theory though...
Huh, I guess I just read it wrong. Sometimes that happens if you are able to get past it. I was arguing more about the oil stuff since I worked with some people educated in the field who filled me in with some knowledge.

So the rising levels could be simply a natural occurance but most likely are caused by us? I remember learning in geology about the theory every 15k-20k years the earth goes through cycles of heat and ice and heat and ice and basically replenishes itself. Since some bacteria can live in ice and extreme could but a lot would die off, wouldn't that be a valid theory? Anyway, sorry if I came off as a jerk and I am trying to be nicer on the net especially when discussing any topic where arguments can become anywhere near heated or insulting.

bonkrowave said:

YES!, NO WE SHALL STRIKE WHILE YOU ARE WEAK1!!!!!! HEHEHAHAHAHAH

huxley said:
Huh, I guess I just read it wrong. Sometimes that happens if you are able to get past it. I was arguing more about the oil stuff since I worked with some people educated in the field who filled me in with some knowledge.

So the rising levels could be simply a natural occurance but most likely are caused by us? I remember learning in geology about the theory every 15k-20k years the earth goes through cycles of heat and ice and heat and ice and basically replenishes itself. Since some bacteria can live in ice and extreme could but a lot would die off, wouldn't that be a valid theory? Anyway, sorry if I came off as a jerk and I am trying to be nicer on the net especially when discussing any topic where arguments can become anywhere near heated or insulting.

Yeah, I appreciate you toning it down. Thanks for that :)

Anyway, I would believe, as do many ecologists, that the raise in the level of bacteria and other parasitic organisms in the freshwater lakes are a direct cause of pollution and it's effect on the ecosystem. Once you through one thing in that system out of whack, everything else kinda falls apart. Kinda like a human pyramid. And the cycles you are talking about happen in periods of 20, 41, and 100 thousand years. The next is supposed to happen in roughly 23k years. I think this is more of a "strongest survive/start from scratch" happenstance because of the nature of the earth's axis, orbit, and core.

i take it you guys didt read my post? its long i'll admit but it would have straightend out ur scientific arguements...

the pollutents that cause pictiular bacteria and fungi to mass produce in fresh water are phosphates. however thats not the only reason.

you must have taken that course a while ago im assuming. yes there are theories about ice ages , however some also beleive a neclear winter could have caused the same effects. either can be argued and have been by scientists so i dont see i reason in arguing it here. extreame heat? (and by extreame i mean so hot it would actualy cause one of the great exstintions , oh wait there is none) the last extreame heat that i can think of was the formation of 'solid earth' itself (before that it was just a big ball of liquid), billions of years before life itself, when the first rocks cooled. now i dont know how much u know about entropy but if that is going to ever occur again it would require either another big bang or perhaps our sun going nova , neither is natural of OUR planet nor going to happen for a very very long time.

seriously read my long post above , u guys are still bickering about silly things

LostPuppy said:
i take it you guys didt read my post? its long i'll admit but it would have straightend out ur scientific arguements...

the pollutents that cause pictiular bacteria and fungi to mass produce in fresh water are phosphates. however thats not the only reason.

you must have taken that course a while ago im assuming. yes there are theories about ice ages , however some also beleive a neclear winter could have caused the same effects. either can be argued and have been by scientists so i dont see i reason in arguing it here. extreame heat? (and by extreame i mean so hot it would actualy cause one of the great exstintions , oh wait there is none) the last extreame heat that i can think of was the formation of 'solid earth' itself (before that it was just a big ball of liquid), billions of years before life itself, when the first rocks cooled. now i dont know how much u know about entropy but if that is going to ever occur again it would require either another big bang or perhaps our sun going nova , neither is natural of OUR planet nor going to happen for a very very long time.

seriously read my long post above , u guys are still bickering about silly things
If you read our posts we are done bickering about anything. Practice what ya preach

Ewwww, drink the water out of the great lakes? You have got to be kidding, you might as well have a sip out of the Blue Danube and then wait a a few hours while the hospital comes by to take you to the morgue. I pity the people at the end of the mississipi who eat all the freshwater crustaceans that are just brimming with contaminates from the states above them.

Canada does have the largest reserve of fresh uncontaminated drinking water, its due to large glacial deposits and underground springs that are fed by them. The thing about water is that it can always be refined or produced, oil cannot it can only be replaced. Sure in Iraq gas may cost 3 cents/litre, but water is priceless.

Why would Canada want an army, we are perfectly fine selling Oil at $55 a barrel to the US, so that the US can run their tanks for another 10 minutes. We do need naval vessels though, and a nuclear program would be by far the cheapest and quickest way to become a superpower (if it wasn't so politically uncorrect I'd bet we could have a fairly substantial nuclear arsenal in a matter of a decade.)

Albertans and Texans do have to thank bush for the incredible oil revenues we are raking in now. So New York had 9/11, I'm beginning to think Bush could care less about the big cities, hes a cowboy.

LostPuppy said:

Yeah, uh, we actually made amends and all that jive. Also, I don't think we were ever talking about extreme heat. The only time it was mentioned was in a source I quoted, but it was also mixed with information about bacteria living in cold...which was my original point. So...the pot's calling the kettle black, eh?

Also, entropy has very little to do with the future of the earth given other variables that where not present at the time of its creation. ALSO, based an data taken from various sources (most notably the layers of plankton on the bottom of the ocean, the sea level, and fossils/spieces locations) it is the most popular theory as the previous conditions (ice ages) of the earth.

Now, don't act as if we've never heard your theories and speak in hopes that we will look ignorant. You didn't read our posts and proceded to repremand us (as if you have any ounce of authority in the first place) for no reason...

/end

bonkrowave said:
For the price we paid for these 20 year old subs we could have bought 2 brand spanking new nuclear subs with 0 mileage.

Nuke subs are way more expensive than you think. 1-2 billion for the new US models. The regular maintenance on one costs tens of millions a year. You need a whole lot of infrastructure and personnel to support them. Even if Canada wanted one this year, it would take probably 5-10 years to get a program up and running. I think the only countries operating nuclear powered subs are US/UK/France/Russia/China.

huxley:
I remember learning in geology about the theory every 15k-20k years the earth goes through cycles of heat and ice and heat and ice and basically replenishes itself.
jubei:
I don't think we were ever talking about extreme heat.

lol ok

as for ice ages ur messing up the meaning buddy , yes there was cold periods called ice ages , but the cause is what is being argued some say the earth goes into them periodicaly , which would support ur theroy , i was pointing out that it another just as valid theroy is that they were caused by metors hitting earth forming dust clouds in the earths atmosphere blocking the sun causeing a neclear winter , i never said there wasnt frozen periods , learn to read.

my entropy statement had to do with what i was talking about , not what you were talking about , i would love to defend it but i can tell i am wasting my time trying to get through to you : )

LostPuppy said:
lol ok

LostPuppy said:
as for ice ages ur messing up the meaning buddy , yes there was cold periods called ice ages , but the cause is what is being argued some say the earth goes into them periodicaly , which would support ur theroy , i was pointing out that it another just as valid theroy is that they were caused by metors hitting earth forming dust clouds in the earths atmosphere blocking the sun causeing a neclear winter , i never said there wasnt frozen periods , learn to read.

You're failing to realize your lovely theory is dependent on a single incident. As far as every bit of scientific data gained, it would point to a very distinct series of periods of pliestocene. This would in no way point to a blocking of the sun because of atmospheric blockage. This theory was actually abandoned by most of the scientific community years ago...get with the times. Ever bit of evidence indicates that the pliestocene was created by a wobble of the earths axis coupled with a very chaotic core of the earth.

LostPuppy said:
my entropy statement had to do with what i was talking about , not what you were talking about , i would love to defend it but i can tell i am wasting my time trying to get through to you : )

Now, stop acting as if you understand what entropy is. I'm pretty sure anybody can read and recite the laws of thermodynamics, but I'm also pretty sure that their meaning eludes somebody such as yourself...

/done

lol not understanding the underlying laws of thermodynamics , good one , your funny. if that were true i must have magical powers to do so well in these university chem courses lol. now if only i had those powers , then i wouldnt have to study for immunology.

I'm sorry, but as a Canadian, I have to make some corrections about what some of my fellow countrymen have said. First of all, cancelling the contract to replace the sea king helicopters back in the early nighties did not cost more than the helicopters themselves at all. Why would our government pay more to get nothing??
Secondly, Canada's recently purchased used british sub's were built in the late 80's / early nighties, and commisioned in the early nighties. These sub's were not purchased as 'cheap man's nuclear subs' either; they are more quite and more manoeuvrable, and will someday be fitted with fuel cell technology.
It was also a pretty dumb analogy comparing the navy to sea turtles, especially since you never made any actual connection.
Finally, Canada has a population of approximately 33 million, not 20-25 million. You left out Toronto and Montreal!

Please guys, if you're going to post facts, get them straight first.

Orion_fu is 100% correct. Also, Canada's military is backed up by the US Military. Who would mess with Canada when we would simply destroy them. Canada's military is actually protecting the US by protecting their own shores from illegal immigrants ie. terrorists on boats :)

Stereophile said:
Nuke subs are way more expensive than you think. 1-2 billion for the new US models. The regular maintenance on one costs tens of millions a year. You need a whole lot of infrastructure and personnel to support them. Even if Canada wanted one this year, it would take probably 5-10 years to get a program up and running. I think the only countries operating nuclear powered subs are US/UK/France/Russia/China.

Yes they are expensive but editorials on local news stations here say we could have bought 2 nuclear subs for the price of the 4 giant sea turtles with potatoe guns we bought. Also infrastructure .... Canada had no personnel , docking places, crew, anything when we bought the 4 POS subs, thats why they sat at the dock for 6 years before we even tried to get them over here.

Orion_fu said:
I'm sorry, but as a Canadian, I have to make some corrections about what some of my fellow countrymen have said. First of all, cancelling the contract to replace the sea king helicopters back in the early nighties did not cost more than the helicopters themselves at all. Why would our government pay more to get nothing??
Secondly, Canada's recently purchased used british sub's were built in the late 80's / early nighties, and commisioned in the early nighties. These sub's were not purchased as 'cheap man's nuclear subs' either; they are more quite and more manoeuvrable, and will someday be fitted with fuel cell technology.
It was also a pretty dumb analogy comparing the navy to sea turtles, especially since you never made any actual connection.
Finally, Canada has a population of approximately 33 million, not 20-25 million. You left out Toronto and Montreal!

Please guys, if you're going to post facts, get them straight first.

This guy kills me .... ummm actually it is fact we paid more in cancelation fees.. our governemnt cancelled before understanding the consequences .... if you live here you must understand our government is piss poor. Also the four subs we bought are not nuclear ... so how can they be poor mans nuclear .... they are infact diesel electric. These subs are louder then nuclear subs because they have more moving parts and they have an internal combustion power plant. Not a nuclear reaction (much much quieter) engine. And second I said nothing of population.

And yeah the one sub that caught fire and lost all propulsion was much more manueverable then nuclear subs ... especially since it was towed back /sarcasm

You talk about getting facts straight .... maybe you should follow your own advice.
Telling me to get my facts staight is mind blowing .. I design stuff for the Military ! ..

bonkrowave said:
. These subs are louder then nuclear subs because they have more moving parts and they have an internal combustion power plant. Not a nuclear reaction (much much quieter) engine. And second I said nothing of population.

You talk about getting facts straight .... maybe you should follow your own advice.
Telling me to get my facts staight is mind blowing .. I design stuff for the Military ! ..

maybe you should get YOURS straight before you go snapping someones shorts
diesel electric *can* be very quiet when they are running on electric power only...in fact they can be *more* quiet than nuclear because they dont have to run all the coolant and circulation pumps required to keep a nuke core from overeheating...theres no steam being piped around, no generators...just electricity to the motor.

the downside to diesel electric is of course the length of time a sub can run on batteries before losing its charge...but, the main point is they can be *very* quiet under electric only conditions

so take that and make a sandwhich mr "i design stuff for the military"

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back