Compare Torchlight and Borderlands

greenhorn1

Limp Gawd
OK, I don't game much anymore but I downloaded the demo of torchlight and enjoyed it enough that I bought it (my first steam purchase) and have put in 15 hours or so on it so far. It is my understanding that there is no demo available for Borderlands so my question is, is borderlands basically a FPS version of torchlight (minus the fantasy element) where you just kill and upgrade weapons repeat repeat repeat or is there more to it than that?

In short, yes.

Borderlands is at heart just a FPS, with some RPG elements tagged on + the loot. I enjoyed the game a lot (minus the end boss) ;)

OK, I don't game much anymore but I downloaded the demo of torchlight and enjoyed it enough that I bought it (my first steam purchase) and have put in 15 hours or so on it so far. It is my understanding that there is no demo available for Borderlands so my question is, is borderlands basically a FPS version of torchlight (minus the fantasy element) where you just kill and upgrade weapons repeat repeat repeat or is there more to it than that?

Borderlands has a slower item upgrade frequency (tons of trash, little worthwhile) and the AI has more opportunity to screw up compared to torchlight, but otherwise they're very similar past the isometric vs fps differences. Also since BL is longer you end up fighting the same enemies for a longer duration than in torchlight where you're fighting something new every little bit.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like something I might enjoy. Actually I haven't been swaping out weapons very much in torchlight as I've been running the map dungeons (ones you can buy) and then using whatever money I made to enchant my main 2 weapons over and over again. :)

I wouldn't expect to have as much fun in Borderlands as Torchlight. Torchlight has an active mod community, developers who listen to the fans and actually implement changes/bugfixes in a timely manner, etc. Borderlands? Borderlands has...87 bazzillion guns? Don't get me wrong, Borderlands is fun, but I'm regretting paying full-price.

Borderlands is a blast to play, especially if you have friends. Torchlight is fun SP experience, I had a ton of fun in the demo. I would say if you can get BL at a good price, do it for sure if you like this style of loot whoring games!

For me since Torchlight has come out I haven't played Borderlands since. The loot is just not that great in my opinion.

The mods alone in Torchlight make me keep coming back.

Ultimate Mod Thread
Now just think the editor has only been out about 10 days.

I played the demo for torchlight, it was good so I bought it. Have had quite a bit of fun playing it.

I hope runic can release their new game before diablo 3, because it will be awesome!

Back