Compaq X1000 Died

l1zrdking

n00b
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
57
I was using last night when it locked up, and the screen went crazy, lines going accross, flickering, ect. So, I manually powered it down, now it will not boot. No video, no hard drive activity, the power led comes on, the fan runs for a min, then stops. Any ideas? The best buy replacment ended in August, go figure. My guess is something is dead, the big question is, new laptop, or pay to see if it can be fixed/refurbed.
 
just for fun, pop the battery for 10 seconds or so to kill all power to it and replace it. Be sure it's plugged into the wall when you restart it.
 
Ive done the battery thing, as well as reseating the ram and hard drive (as thier website stated) still nothing. I'm waiting on a PCMCiA to IDE adapter to come in so I can grab some stuff off the hard drive before I do anything.

As for the brand, its not mine, its my grandparents. They use it for AOL email and chatting while they are in Florida.. and thats just about it. So I'm kind of shocked that it died. Granted its 3 years old, but it really hasnt been used hard. I used it for email and an online class (nothing better than having class while in a recliner) I really hate to tell them thier laptop is dead.
 
Welp, I finally got it to boot. The Compac site said hit F6 when booting, but I tried many times with no success. I decided to try it one more time (after reading some forums about compaq wanting $750 for a new mobo) and it worked. The video card in this model has some issues with it needing to be reseated or the connection breaks, so I'm hoping the card has just come loose (the fact that if you bump it it screws up lends to this) the next big question is...


I either have to take it apart myself, (never taken a laptop apart) or pay someone. I think that with a guide I found on google that I wont have any huge problems, but still a risk.
 
Back
Top