Compaq S3300NX Woes

Term-X

2[H]4U
So I got this computer handed to me the other day to fix and I cannot figure out what is wrong with it, persay. Basically, it boots up to the Safe Mode/Last Known Good Config/Start Normally menu and that's about as far as it can really get. I initially had thoughts that it might be a corrupted OS install or faulty HDD. The former may still be true to some effect but the hard drive passed WD Diagnostics and Windows Vista Error Check/Deep Scan when I connected it as an external device.

Anyway, I tried to boot safemode, last known good config, etc and no go. It just reboots itself after trying to load SPTD.sys (tried not loading it and still same result). So then I tried running memtest on the RAM and it came through fine. I even tried putting in a working piece of DDR I still had laying around - no go. In these same scenarios, I also tried just doing a fresh install of Windows XP and while it does begin to boot off the CD, it passes the RAID Driver option, the Automated Recovery option and either reboots itself or the screens gets all jumbled with random characters and colours.

I tripled checked the BIOS to make sure everything is set right, I replaced all the cables with new ones incase the old ones were faulty. I tried both optical drives to initiate the Windows install process. I guess about the only thing that I didn't test (Power Supply) might be the problem but it strikes me odd, given that it doesn't reboot at all during the BIOS, Memtest or the PC-Doctor Offline Diag from the HP website. They did not have an available BIOS at HP or MSI for this ver 30b motherboard.

If anyone has any ideas or had a similar situation, I would like to hear from you.

Regards,

T-X

Oh and the rough specs of the machine:
2600+ AMD Athlon XP 2.13 GHz
MS-6390 ver 30b (MSI custom mobo for Compaq??)
512 MB DDR SDRAM
80 Western Digital
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440
CD-RW
DVD-ROM

Last edited:
Back