COmpaq Presario R3000

Atlas77

Limp Gawd
I NEED help, my r3000 just dies. When you press the on button a fan comes on but my screen stays black and then there are a series of beeps. What does this mean

Your question is too vague for anyone to give you any useful information. How many beeps are there? Long or short? In what order? Have you tried any troubleshooting yet?

Ok, i took it apart and put it back together, now there is no beeps and it sounds like its running but my screen continues to stay black. Before i took it apart it made i think 4 beeps , two were long, two were short. I'm thinking video card has gone out, Also when hooked to a external monitor there is nothing, but i can see some lines on the external when its hooked up but when unplugged lines go away.. Its a Compaq Presario r3000, Widescreen, with i think 512 ram, 40 gig hd.

UPDATE: It started making that beeping noise again. Here it is 1 long then 3 short, then a pause then two more short.Also when you press the power button, the ccpu starts to power then fails, then there is just one fan spining out of the two

i dont know if this helps but....when my vid card was messing up on my computer, the guy on the phone told me to take it out and see what happens....and i just heard a few beeps

i would check your memory to start... try one chip at a time etc... second pull the hard drive then try and test. third if your video stuff aint working try hooking an external monitor to the back port...

hope it helps

I took it in for a diagnosed at a local computer shop. So far i tried reseating the ram, i switched them, run with one in then put the other one in. Reseated the CPU, I"ve also done more research and some people with my similar problems had their memory in their VID card go out. I have a feeling thats its that or the CPU, which i found a new one online for around 50 shipped. Thanks for all the help, ill update when i hear from the repair shop.

Back