Compaq case with micro ATX mobo

biru32

Limp Gawd
I have a Compaq with a micro ATX mobo (FIC AM35). Can I replace that mobo with a micro ATX mobo by MSI? It would be a MSI K8MM-V Socket 754.

Thanks!

I don't see why not...

As long as the PSU, video card, and processor are compatible, with the new mobo, you should be fine.

Are you sure it is mATX? Computer manufacturers like to use their own form factors sometimes...

i wouldn't jump the gun quite yet ...
Compaq MAY have used an mATX but you also want to see whether your case has the right mounting holes for the new mobo.

plus - is the PSU compatible with the mobo power connector...

if so - you should be fine.

Ok, thanks for the replies!

The PSU I'm using is a Antec smartpower 2.0 350W ATX. It's a 20 pin connector.

Compaq isn't claiming it to be a mATX, the mainboard manual is calling the board a micro ATX size.

I will replace the CPU, so no worries there. I'm more concerned on whether or not this board with fit the case.

Thanks again.

stormshadow said:
i wouldn't jump the gun quite yet ...
Compaq MAY have used an mATX but you also want to see whether your case has the right mounting holes for the new mobo.

plus - is the PSU compatible with the mobo power connector...

if so - you should be fine.

The PSU I'm using now is a 20 pin, the new board is a 20+4, I'm not sure if that's compatible.

biru32 said:
The PSU I'm using now is a 20 pin, the new board is a 20+4, I'm not sure if that's compatible.

Sorry, I had that backwards. The PSU is 20+4, the new board is 20 pin. The current board I have in there now is a 20 pin, so I shouldn't have any issues with the PSU.

again - just make sure that your case has the proper mounts for a standard mATX mobo.

lol i had an matx compaq with an fic board and i made the jump just fine, but be warned that these cases (or at least mine) didnt have actual stand off screws, but just lumps where the stand offs were. It works just fine and it matches up, but say for some reason your new mobo doesnt have a mounting spot for a screw where one is on the case, you'll have a problem.

It all sync'd up nice with my tiny little biostar board though.

if it doesn't fit right just get hammer and a drill pound down the lumbs and drill new holes and get some stand off and it should work

Back