Companies Look Into Supposed Hi-Def DVD Crack

HardOCP News

[H] News
Various companies are looking into the claims being made by a hacker that he cracked the code protecting next-gen hi-definition DVDs.

A hacker known as Muslix64 posted on the Internet details of how he unlocked the encryption, known as the Advanced Access Content System, which prevents high-definition discs from illegal copying by restricting which devices can play them.

I just find it kinda funny that both formats use the same copy protection. Anyway with this I hold my comments untill I see a copy of the code in the wild(ie can download and test it). Untill then it is just a rumor to me.

When theres a will there will always be a way. I have no clue why sony and the other companies are spending so much time and money on all of this DRM technology, If in a few weeks someones going to find out how to copy it. If it can be put into a computer then it can be copied.

If they really wanted people to stop having the ability to make copies then they should stop making the burners for the new formats.... :D

I just want to know what it was that he blacked out of the video at the end, when he shows the keys for various films...

its gonna get hacked, you cant even stop it.....theres already some hi-def movies floating around, altho not from HD/BLU DVD but w/e...

Nova69ssfan said:
When theres a will there will always be a way. I have no clue why sony and the other companies are spending so much time and money on all of this DRM technology, If in a few weeks someones going to find out how to copy it. If it can be put into a computer then it can be copied.

If they really wanted people to stop having the ability to make copies then they should stop making the burners for the new formats.... :D

No, even without burners there are still hard drive and the internet. If they wasn to stop hacking, they'll have to stop making things to hack. No more moives, music, or software. There is absolutely no way to stop hacking as long as there's something to hack.

xappie said:
I just want to know what it was that he blacked out of the video at the end, when he shows the keys for various films...

Those were the actual keys that were blacked out, the ones on the left are not the keys.
All Muslix64 really did was read the aacs documents, which anyone can do, to rip the data from the hddvd. Its cyberlink's powerdvd that screwed up by leaving the needed title key in the memory.

forcefed said:
Those were the actual keys that were blacked out, the ones on the left are not the keys.
All Muslix64 really did was read the aacs documents, which anyone can do, to rip the data from the hddvd. Its cyberlink's powerdvd that screwed up by leaving the needed title key in the memory.

Interesting... I wonder why he would do that?

Do you know what the greatest prohibitor / deterrent of downloading - pirating hi-def videos???

The SIZE of the damn movies! Like you want to wait around all night to download a 20GB rip of King Kong.

Steve said:
Do you know what the greatest prohibitor / deterrent of downloading - pirating hi-def videos???

The SIZE of the damn movies! Like you want to wait around all night to download a 20GB rip of King Kong.

I don't know, I think people would be willing to download a 20GB file for free. I can do it in about 15-20 hours and I only have a 3Mbps connection. There are lots of people here that have 10+ and outside the US 50Mbps+ seems to be quite common. Imagine at 50Mbps you could download a 20GB file in less than 3 hours. :)

The average joe bootlegger isn't what worries the studios, it is the professional bootleggers that will be using professional stamping equipment, not burners.

If this turns out to be true, HD DVD is pretty much screwed. Blu-ray has two other security devices to fall back on, BD+ and Rom Mark. Not that those will be any better at protecting the media, it does give the Studios a more sense of security and a better reason to support the format.

CES is going to be interesting.

LynxFX said:
The average joe bootlegger isn't what worries the studios, it is the professional bootleggers that will be using professional stamping equipment, not burners.

If this turns out to be true, HD DVD is pretty much screwed. Blu-ray has two other security devices to fall back on, BD+ and Rom Mark. Not that those will be any better at protecting the media, it does give the Studios a more sense of security and a better reason to support the format.

CES is going to be interesting.

someone at avs mentioned that bd+ depends on aacs in some way, so thats effectively an open gate with rom mark being left. I dont know how all that works, so I'm just throwing out the 3rd person rumor stuff :D

Yeah that is Amirm, the MS insider. Has good info, but also definitely has an agenda as well, especially since they are behind AACS in the first place. But I'm not going to pretend to know how all that works either, Blu-ray just happens to have more going for it in terms of protection, good or bad. Seeing that BD+ isn't even finalized, I'm sure they'll be working on making it work without AACS if it is indeed cracked or if they see it as being vulnerable.

I do love seeing all these things cracked. It is like a geek sporting event. :D

Didn't know if this was mentioned yet, but AACS wasn't cracked. PowerDVD dropped the ball leaving the keys in memory for anybody to find. The encryption wasn't cracked in any way. The current player keys for PowerDVD will be rejected forcing users to upgrgade to a newer version that will hopefully fix keeping the unencrypted key in memory.

Silentbob343 said:
Didn't know if this was mentioned yet, but AACS wasn't cracked. PowerDVD dropped the ball leaving the keys in memory for anybody to find. The encryption wasn't cracked in any way. The current player keys for PowerDVD will be rejected forcing users to upgrgade to a newer version that will hopefully fix keeping the unencrypted key in memory.

One of the angles of attack for cracking an encryption algorithm is obtaining private keys. It's an uphill battle all the way, but the first step has been accomplished thanks to Cyberlink (not PowerDVD since it's just a product).

i bet i can create an unhackable though part of it would be physical... :)

Back