• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Compact Desk Speakers Recommendation

the.ronin

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
508
I’m looking for some desk speakers but I don’t have a lot of room on my desk. Some things I am looking for:

* compact – I can’t emphasize this enough, I really have very little room on my desk. Here is a picture to give you an idea:

scoutblue1.jpg


* powered – I don’t like the USB powered ones since they tend to have volume limitations

* analog line in – the USB line in conflicts with my sound card

* 2.0 or 2.1 – doesnt matter which since I can just put the subwoofer on the ground but no way I have room for more than 2 speakers on the desk itself

I used to have a “Miglia” (sp?) 2.1 set with a tube as a subwoofer. I gave it away thinking I could get better ones but they were actually pretty good. I got some German ones “Nu” (sp?) (which I think Rosewill private labels too) but they suck – USB powered.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
 
If you know how to fabricate enclosures, then make a sealed or ported enclosure for a pair of 3" full-range drivers, and make sure they're mounted flush with the front-baffle:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-427 - possibly the best inexpensive 3" full-range driver

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8585 - One of the best 3" full-range drivers at any price, but nearly twice the cost. Will require some filter work on the top-end if used full-range, OR just add a tweeter and let the crossover handle the rest.

BOTH of these will require a subwoofer, and a rather steep highpass filter at 150hz or so. You can add a tweeter to the Hi-Vi 3" mid if you want, but why bother...

If you can swing a 4" driver, then you have more options, and then it'd make more sense to add a tweeter (a good pair of tweeters can be had for less than $20, but it'll add about $30 to the overall cost (additional crossover electronics, more construction materials)).

Otherwise: Headphones...

Edit: I know Azn was kidding, but don't buy those B&W MM-1 speakers... I'm betting the Fountek 3" driver is better than the one they use anyway... It should be less than half that price.
 
Last edited:
Edit: I know Azn was kidding, but don't buy those B&W MM-1 speakers... I'm betting the Fountek 3" driver is better than the one they use anyway... It should be less than half that price.

Lies. There was a poster here that said the B&W MM-1 represented the greatest value in PC speakers. In addition, Dynaudio makes the best speakers in the world and no speakers have even half the value...oh wait.
 
* compact – I can’t emphasize this enough, I really have very little room on my desk. Here is a picture to give you an idea:

Here's a simple fix for your desktop space issue:
1.) Put tower on *FLOOR*. (Why the heck do you have it on top of that little desk? :confused: )
2.) Rejoice in massively increased desk space.
3.) Purchase decent speakers.

Otherwise, yeah. Go with headphones. Nothing you can buy that tiny will sound decent in comparison to the headphones.
 
Here's a simple fix for your desktop space issue:
1.) Put tower on *FLOOR*. (Why the heck do you have it on top of that little desk? :confused: )
2.) Rejoice in massively increased desk space.
3.) Purchase decent speakers.

This. I like Ascends HTM-200 SE, great sound in a relatively small package.
 
The OP could put the sub of a 2.1 system on the floor... but not the computer itself? Ok, are we missing something here (beside a response from the OP)? Geez...

Considering he's basically got the side open enough to be a distraction, and the noise from the case fans/the machine itself is going to just add to it, why bother with micro-speakers or something that small at all. Headphones might just be the answer given the constraints... or build a smaller PC, who knows.
 
The first thing involved in getting hifi sound in an office is to put the computer in the closet...or passive cooling.
 
Back
Top