comp wont turn on

steven1110

Limp Gawd
a week ago my comp died...it just wouldn't turn on. When i hit the switch the fans would twitch but nothing would start. I thought it was the psu because even the fans that were hooked directly to psu connectors wouldn't spin. But after rma'ing the psu it still does the same thing so i'm guessing it's the mobo now. Anybody have any other ideas?

thanks

There's a cool list of things to try in the Basic Troubleshooting Guide. Its a sticky thread, so its at the top of the GenHard forum. ;) I'd try the barebone bench test.

Usually when a computer just 'dies' and the case won't even turn on, it's usually the motherboard. A bad CPU, bad memory, bad gpu, failing psu, etc., will usually at least turn on the chassis lights and fans and give you post codes. If you don't even get that, the motherboard is #1 suspect in my book. I've seen it way to many times.

nope no post...no fans...no lights....so i guess thats a confirmed mobo then right?

When you do the paperclip trick on the PSU with a fan connected, does the fan spin? If not, then the PSU replacement is probably bad.

Sorry to hijack your thread but im afraid to start a new one. When i turn on my computer it turns off after 5 seconds and then turns on and off by it's self for a while. I've reset the motherboard but i don't think that it's the motherboard because all i have connected is the motherboard and processor. I already tried a different psu and same thing happened. Now, when i removed the processor and turned it on with just the motherboard it stopped turning off. So could it be the processor?

yeah the psu is fine...i hooked it up in another computer and it ran fine

Then... yup! RMA the board.

Sorry to hijack your thread but im afraid to start a new one. When i turn on my computer it turns off after 5 seconds and then turns on and off by it's self for a while. I've reset the motherboard but i don't think that it's the motherboard because all i have connected is the motherboard and processor. I already tried a different psu and same thing happened. Now, when i removed the processor and turned it on with just the motherboard it stopped turning off. So could it be the processor?

No, thats just a dual boot issue with the board. Update the BIOS and it should be fine.

Oh... and don't be afraid to start a new thread. ;)

thanks for the response but how do i update my bios when my pc can't stay on for more than 5 seconds?

thanks for the response but how do i update my bios when my pc can't stay on for more than 5 seconds?

I guess I misread your post earlier (hadn't had my coffee yet). I thought it would dual boot then go into windows. :p Clear your CMOS then try it with only one stick of RAM, and/or 1.8v RAM. Also, start your own thread. ;)

Back