Comp wont boot

JasonG

Limp Gawd
Been running for about 9 months or better then yesterday we had a power outage while I was away and came back to my computer being off. Hit the power and it wont boot up. No beep no bios screen. There is power as all the fans power up and the lights on front of my PC come on but then it doesn't do anything else.

I've switched out both sticks of RAM thinking one may have gone bad(these are my only two sticks so both could have gone bad I guess). I changed video cards and reset the motherboard and still nothing.

Could it be the power supply? I haven't thought to pull it out but it sounds like the fan on it is making noise. Would it still power up the lights/fans but not have enough juice to boot the whole system?

The CPU has been at stock volts but OC'ed to 2.7/2.8 it's whole life of 9 months, would hate to think it's gone bad.

Idea's anyone? Thanks as always.

JasonG

It could be a dead PSU... it is possible that it's still putting out enough to power fans but not enough to boot.... Do you have a spare you could try? If not, maybe check the voltages.

Nope no spare PSU to try. Just use a voltmeter to check the voltages? Any reference numbers I should look for? It's a antec phantom 500w power supply. Thanks again.

JasonG

When you say that you "reset the motherboard" does that mean you reset the CMOS/BIOS? I would also try unplugging the HDD power molex and data cables and see if you can get a beep. The other thing you can try is unplugging the power cord from the wall, press and hold the case power button for a few seconds to completely discharge the PSU and board capacitors.
Good Luck!

Yup reset the CMOS with the battery. Tried unplugging the power cord and making sure no power was getting to it and the HDD's too. Still no go. It powers up the lights and fans but no beep and no BIOS screen. I have some new RAM on the way, hoping that since I had them OC'ed by over 100mhz that maybe the power outage somehow did them in. If not.... hmmm might try a new PSU next. Thanks again.

JasonG

when i fried a set of ram a couple months ago, the computer booted but would not finish posting, it would just keep restarting throughout the post.

we had a brownout here last year that damaged my motherboard (and fortunately only the mobo) and cause instability, but it still ran. maybe your mobo took some damage

Was aable to get ahold of Gigabyte and they said if no beeps when trying to boot up without RAM then the MB is prob toast. YaY! :( Thier RMA only averages 2-3 business weeks...

JasonG

Back