comp upgrade hit a snag

McClintoc

Fully [H]
I am using some of my old parts to upgrade my mom's computer. Her old comp was a 900 MHz AMD Athlon Duron, 512 MB Kingston ValueRam, WinFast nVidia MX2 and a 120 GB Maxtor HDD 7200 rpm 8 MB buffer with a 1st Mainboard mobo that is about 4 years old. We installed Windows XP Home w/ SP2 on it but the computer ran fairly slow, thus I wanted to upgrade it. I just upgraded my comp and therefore, used my old parts to upgrade my mom's computer. Her new parts are an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo, an AMD Athlon XP 2700 and 1 GB (2x512) PC3200 Kingston ValueRam. The video card and HDD are the same but the HDD is only a little over a year old. Everything is hooked up right and seems to be running well except I get a blue screen when the comp tries to run Windows. The comp starts up fine until it goes to load Windows, then I get a blue screen, and it happens so fast, I can't read it so I have no idea what is causing Windows to not load. I am pretty sure this is a Windows problem and not a hardware problem. Any ideas? Does Windows not like having a bunch of hardware changed out? Also, how can I get Windows back, IF I can get Windows back. Please help, my mom will kill me if I lost all of her files. :confused:

Im going to guess that the '1st mainboard' brand motherboard does not have the same chipset as the A7N8X mobo.
You can try several things, safe mode (pushing F8 at boot), repair install, but youll probably end up reinstalling XP in the end

yeah, the boards are about 5 years apart. i tried doing safe mode but the same happens. then i tried a repair install but i'm not sure what to do there. it takes me into dos mode and i don't know how to use dos. :p it sits there at C:>WINDOWS and i don't know what to do after that.

clean install of windows would be best .. but you could do a repair install , but hit ok/yes/whatever the second time you see the option to do a repair install (after you have to hit F8 to agree with EULA)

[F]old|[H]ard

Dude take that harddrive out this instant. Install it in another computer as slave and copy all the files than put that hardrive back and reinstall windows.

yeah, i saw the thread with the sysprep thing after i changed out all the hardware. talk about kicking myself. anyways, which ever way i go, either re-chaning out the parts or taking out the hdd and slaving it into another comp, i have some work to do. i thought about putting it into another comp and making it a slave already, so that's what i will probably do. thnx for the help guys.

A little FYI.... 1st Mainboard is FIC, a long time and respected comp hardware/mobo manufacturer who introduced the very first AMD chipset based motherboard to the general public.

If the computer is on a network, an easier option (not involving cracking the case, transporting harddrives, etc) would be to load up a linux livecd (such as knoppix or gnoppix), sharing the drive and grabing the files from a networked computer.

Either way, once you get the files off a clean install is the way to go with that many hardware changes. Not to mention if the goal is to make here computer feel a little quicker, a reinstall is always helpful there. :)

Tweakin said:
If the computer is on a network, an easier option (not involving cracking the case, transporting harddrives, etc) would be to load up a linux livecd (such as knoppix or gnoppix), sharing the drive and grabing the files from a networked computer.

Either way, once you get the files off a clean install is the way to go with that many hardware changes. Not to mention if the goal is to make here computer feel a little quicker, a reinstall is always helpful there. :)

Or BartPe for a bootable CD with an XP environment.

it's all good now. i just took out her hdd and made it a slave in my desktop and copied all the files from it and then put it back and did a fresh install. everything works and runs smoothly. thanks again for the help.

Back