communicatiing with eachother on a home network

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
hi i have 3 computers each with windows xp

i have a wireless network router with built in modem made by netgear, alll the pc's can hook up to the internet but cannot communicate with eachother, in terms of file sharing and sharing printers etc.. its annoying and i tried almost everything i can think of :(

i tried network wizard, file sharing, rpint sharing wizards and still no joy. the computers are all displayed in the mshome but whenever i click on it, its says access denied i have to permission to use thsi network resoruce, please contact the administrator of this server and find out if i have access permissions???

try disabling any firewalls. with norton firewall i can add rules to give certain IP's access to my computer over a LAN. you can try that if you dont like having the firewall down for extended periods of time.

try mapping a network drive and see if that works.

have a shared folder on the c drive.

rightclick my computer. choose map network drive. make it z. in the path:

\\computer's name\name of sharled folder

i have a zonealrm firewall, do i have 2 add access to the ips that are 192.168.0.x ????

yes...there should be a section in the router config utitlity that shows what devices are connected to the router. use those IP address when adding accessing rules.

If you're using ZoneAlarm, make sure all the computers on your LAN with it installed see the network IP you are currently on as TRUSTED. By default a new network in ZA is setup in the Internet Zone which traffic to and from is blocked.

See if that helps.

nope it diddnt help im afraid :( i can stills ee the computers conencted on mshome but i can never seem 2 access them. i have created firewall rules for all the pc's ip addresses but still no joy :(

Back