Commercial code for running outside Ethernet or Coax

I am planning a Wireless PtP installation. At one of the sites, it makes the most sense to do a wall penetration and feed cable through. I can either have the installer pull coax from the dish to the inside AP or put the AP outside and just run Cat6 in.

He insists that he has to run through the roof through an existing penetration and refuses a wall penetration because of code issues. I can't find any special requirements for outside coax aside from grounding.

Anyone deal with this and know if he's right?

Last edited:
does he own the building? if he doesnt then you can't just go around punching holes. if he does, there are more stupid retarded building codes than you can possibly imagine. state, municiple, etc etc which can/do vary from state to state and city to city.

if there is already conduit/hole/whatever then use it. run power over cat6 if you have to to make it happen.

reasonable changes rarely involve cutting holes in exterior walls. i would make sure you send an email and get a reply from building management so if they come back and say "nu uh!" you can say "ORLY?"

still though, if there is an existing hole just use that.

The existing holes in the roof are ghetto rigged holes for HVAC and don't go anywhere too special. It seems like its going to be more work to fish cables rather than just come straight in from the outside.

The building owners were happy to let us tack 2" conduit to the outside and drill a big hole. The problem was that my management wouldn't approve the project.

Back