Comments on a site

KarFai

Limp Gawd
Hi, this isn't a personal website, but I'd like you guys to comment on it. Its Michigan State University's technical support site.

http://help.msu.edu/

do your worst. :)

keep in mind MSU is one of the largest universities in the USA.

I think the main thing I don't like about it is that it's a bit too disorganized. It could be much neater.

The links don't really stand out from normal text.

I don't like the logo either. I see no real reason to have the URI that big when it's right there in your address bar to begin with. Also, the phone number up there doesn't belong there IMO, or the hours. Can have a page dedicated to information like that instead of mixing all types of information in the main page.

It just needs organization. More divisions. Maybe instead of having all those items in the navigation, maybe condense it a bit into more general categories that then lead to more specific items.

EDIT: Just looked at the code, and it could also use some cleaning up, and a DOCTYPE, maybe even use CSS instead if you want some seriously clean code.

The recommended downloads/patches page seems to be a bit out of date. ;)

Links are a tad 'squashed' looking, plus they seem a little chaotic. Could probably do with a different font/size and a little better organisation.

Lollerberries @ instructions on how to install kazaa.

Be nice to people instead of mean- drop the netscape link and link to mozilla at least.

Seems to do the job okay otherwise :)

Sorry man, but you are going to get my rants that I have had for a bit at MSU's web sites. I have always hated their sites. I work for MSU/FAME (Flint campus for the med school actually) and I have always had too many problems finding information on their sites. At least they look better with the new design they recently did, but they are still difficult to navigate.

As for your site in particular...you need to lay things out for a user. Why delegate all the important info to the sidebar? I think taking your three groups of links on the left and just making it the entire width of the page 3 colomns wide would be a much better choice. Put the links right in front of the users. I think your helpful links dropdown and system status fit the type of "sidebar" information much better.

I would also group things a bit differently. I mean getting started does not really tell me a lot. Most of those items have to do with the users ID. I would just group ID items together. Beyond that, the information is duplicated in your "Information for Students...Info for ..." links. Why not break the items into headings of "Students" "Faculty" "Others" "Trouble" and putting the links under each of those with the subgroups you already have going.

I think that people will come to this page to do one of two things:
1) Get information on how to setup their service.
2) Get information on how to fix a problem they are having

In the end I am not sure that your current groupings of information make the best sense. I really think that putting those two groups of people right up front in the main area of the page sorted out would be the best organization you could do.

ok, end rant...sry you get nailed with this.

Yea, I didn't design the site.. I hate it to be honest with you... I'm hoping to draw comments so they will redesign it. :) I cry when thinking about it.

Originally posted by KarFai
Yea, I didn't design the site.. I hate it to be honest with you... I'm hoping to draw comments so they will redesign it. :) I cry when thinking about it.

I take it you go to MSU? I have quite a few friends that go there. I'll be moving to Lansing myself this fall :D

P.S. I agree that it's horrendous

Back