Comment on my network layout

killerasp

Gawd
here is what we have in the office. this was not setup by me. What do you think? is there room for improvements?

network.jpg

The gateway is a typical linksys router.
Main North/South is a 16 port Linksys switch
Admin is a 3com Superstack3 3300XM managed switch.

DHCP does not run off the router, rather off AD1(windows 2003 server)

What isnt shown is our 3com NBX switch that we use for VoIP which is connected to Admin.

Nothing really wrong with that if it does what you want it to do.

Only thing that jumps out at me is your naming convention...it doesn't seem you have one.

Boscoh said:
Nothing really wrong with that if it does what you want it to do.

Only thing that jumps out at me is your naming convention...it doesn't seem you have one.

hahaha. no i dont.

the network seems laggy for some reason, thought it might be the way the network was layed out, but it might be something deeper than the layout

What is your ISP/net connection? Hopefully its something better than residential type ADSL or Cable. What is the usage for that VoIP? Is the whole office on VoIP? How many clients are we talking about here.

VoIP needs upstream as much as it needs downstream bandwidth. If your bandwidth is asynchronous (or your up is just lower) you might feel it.

nomar said:
What is your ISP/net connection? Hopefully its something better than residential type ADSL or Cable. What is the usage for that VoIP? Is the whole office on VoIP? How many clients are we talking about here.

VoIP needs upstream as much as it needs downstream bandwidth. If your bandwidth is asynchronous (or your up is just lower) you might feel it.

We have a t-1 through intellispace. We have about 20 clients on our VoIP. I think VoIP is separate from the T-1 because the t-1 went down for 30 mins today b/c of a DNS outage at verizon, and the VoIP continued to work.

Some small questions:
1) What are the distances between Admin and Main North, and Admin and Main South?
1a) Do you use any repeaters between these locations?

2) Does the 3Com use FASTLINK (may be a Dell word only, so Tree Spanning) technology, and what are the settings for the ports Main North and Main South plug into?

ShrewLWD said:
Some small questions:
1) What are the distances between Admin and Main North, and Admin and Main South?
1a) Do you use any repeaters between these locations?

2) Does the 3Com use FASTLINK (may be a Dell word only, so Tree Spanning) technology, and what are the settings for the ports Main North and Main South plug into?

1. Not even 50 FT. I have no idea why the old admin named it North/South.
2. As far as what ports, the switch is a 10/100 switch on all 24 ports. there are no gigbit links on it. They are just plugged into the switch.

Can you configure VLANS for the department? Not sure about 3COM gear. I know our Cisco stuff does it just fine and it cuts down on extra traffic.

typhoon43 said:
Can you configure VLANS for the department? Not sure about 3COM gear. I know our Cisco stuff does it just fine and it cuts down on extra traffic.

yeah. the 3com swtich has the capability to do that. i was thinking about implementing a vlan. ill have to look into that. thanks man.

Back