Command Prompt question

akmens

n00b
Hi, sorry for a weird question, but I hope someone can answer this or explain why it does not work.

Is it possible to update bios from Windows 7 setup -> repair -> Comand Prompt window?

I know proper ways to do it and will have them available next week but let's say I have only USB drive with Live CD and a bootable Windows 7 setup.

When I run flash.exe file from Command Prompt, it says specified file not found. DIR command shows the file, I can copy it to X: and C: drives and it's there but when I try to execute it, it is not found??!

Other execytables run fine (for example regedit.exe), I even tried rename regedit.exe to regedit.old, then flash.exe to regedit.exe and then run it by regedit.exe command, no go, still displays file (regedit.exe) not found. Renamed regedit.old back to regedit.exe and it runs fine. Flash exe not.

What can't go out of my mind is, why that ridiculous 'file not found message', any other message (dos is needed, is not win32 program, some internal error message etc.) is fine but why stupidly display not found message, when FILE IS THERE???

Any other way to execute DOS application from Windows Recovery / Command Prompt, without creating seperate DOS boot disk?

Other option would be to add ms-dos boot image to usb disk but the problem is, winsetupfromusb (app that let's you create multiboot on one usb disk and add them later) don't run on Live CD because it is missing windows component that detects usb drive properties or something like that.

Bios don't have build in flash tool. Update from Windows don't work (it needs rebooting pc but second before shutdown it displays error message and bios does not get updated).

This is not the question how to update bios in proper ways (I know them very well) but rather is it possible to do when you have nothing else at hands?

No, because the Command Prompt is not DOS, even in spite of the visual similarity aka everybody calls it a DOS Prompt or just DOS, it's a system level service access and because it's part of Windows it won't let you reach that deep into the guts of the machine, essentially.

If there's an issue with the Windows-based updater you should contact the manufacturer of the motherboard and see if they can help. It might be possible to use an older version of the flasher executable and replace just the actual BIOS/UEFI file itself, usually just a *.bin file or something like it. Can't hurt to try that yourself at some point, I've seen some flasher executables just not work for whatever reason due to an update in either the OS or potentially just a single bit of corruption in the .exe itself and using an older one from the same manufacturer (usually found with a previous release of a BIOS/UEFI update) might do just the trick.

That clears that out then. No way to enter true DOS using Windows Setup disk.

I guess I will make USB DOS boot disk when I will have access to a pc, seems like the only way for now (or install windows on hdd and then run Intel Windows executable bios update file). Thanks.

Well, after some trials and errors I was able to replace Live CD image file with modified DOS image file (including bios flash files) while booting from the same flash drive. Finally it worked out perfectly. Removed DOS image file and renamed Live CD file back to original filename (from Windows 7 recovery command prompt) and booted back to Live CD. Mission accomplished.

Update from Windows don't work (it needs rebooting pc but second before shutdown it displays error message and bios does not get updated).
Any chance you may be using the wrong BIOS file? Or, that you need to BIOS hop, meaning you need to install a previous revision level in order to then install the latest?

Ha no, just playing arround with my free time, sorry for bothering you guys. Answering your question, most probably because Windows Live CD lacks certain services and system files, also the fact, that it was running from USB drive without hdd installed... but I managed to boot in the DOS and update went nicely, intel board restarted and applied update....

I know what you mean but there was no flash utility in that old motherboard's bios. Believe me, that was one of the first options I looked into.

Back