Coming back to AMD..whats best chipset?

200mg

Limp Gawd
Any advice on the best chipset to pair with an x6? PC will be Gaming and general use.

I can also vouch on the 890FX, stable board with 0 problems on my new build. Although on my board the chipset does run a bit warm. Hope your new build goes well :)

performance wise, the 890FX

Price, 890GX, or a 790FX.....all three will perform very well, just depends on if you want the feature set of the 890 vs 790(USB 3 and Sata 3), or Onboard video(the 890 GX)

I found AMD® 890GX on ASUS M4A89GTD Pro to be very stable while the integrated graphics is not overwhelming (just over 2000pt in 3Dmark06) it lets you build the system piece by piece.

Currently I'm using M4A78 Pro which is also good but bit outdated and lacking USB 3 and SATA 3 support which M4A89GTD offers along with core unlocker which I tested and found to work quite well and turbo key - one touch safe OC. Here is some more info and pics from my blog when i was testing it http://life.nocpan.com/?p=608

gigabyte 890FX UD5 is a great board, just beware getting VGA cards with massive coolers as it make crossfire unusable, as the second card will suffocate the first.

890FX is the enthusiast level chipset from AMD, so yes, it's the best. As for your X6 you decide to get, you could try the 1055t as opposed to the 1090t since most people have been able to get a 4Ghz OC out of both. It's just a bit harder to OC the 1055t.

I can also vouch on the 890FX, stable board with 0 problems on my new build. Although on my board the chipset does run a bit warm. Hope your new build goes well :)

your heat issue may be because the Crosshair IV has a known issue of bad contact with the NB from the HS, a reapplication of thermal paste should fix this.....or you may be able to get an advanced RMA outta Asus for a different board :p

your heat issue may be because the Crosshair IV has a known issue of bad contact with the NB from the HS, a reapplication of thermal paste should fix this.....or you may be able to get an advanced RMA outta Asus for a different board :p

I haven't run into that problem with my Crosshair IV...I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

I'm probbably going to splurge on that new EK Northbridge/Southbridge waterblock for the Crosshair IV that came out a few days ago. :cool: I know it's about $100, but whatever.. the board only costs $220, and due to its immense features/overclock-ability, it's definitely worth another $100.

Although, I'm not so keen on doing Crossfire... I really prefer SLi... maybe I'll do just that. ;)

i have the nb problem on my crossfire iv also. i would suggest going with the gigabyte 890fx board as it clocks better and doesnt have an overheating problem that i know of. only problem is it isnt as feature rich.

I've built systems with the 770 and the 790FX, they all work just fine depending on your budget.

790FX and 890FX are the top level chipsets from AMD.

Functionally, they are fairly similar, but the 890FX adds SATA III 6.0gb/s support, and some other minor improvements.

As for board choice, I use a Crosshair IV Formula. It's an exceptionally good board, but it can have issues with the Northbridge and Southbridge heatsink assembly. The fix is exceptionally easy though. When you get the board, remove the heatsink, and check the bottom of the heatsink...if it makes good contact, you can just put it back on, or you can clean the yellow thermal compound and replace it with something better.

If it isn't making good contact, just file the standoffs that are longer down to match the height of the shorter standoffs. Then you are good to go.

For me, I replaced the thermal compound, and it was aces after that...the board is a beast, and the 1090T is an incredible processor. Good luck with your new build!

Just FYI, there was a thread somewhere on this forum discussing 890GX boards dying. Personally I'm looking to pick up a microatx board (MSI 890GXM-65) -- any better boards out there?

the 890GX boards that died were not exclusive to 890GX....a few 700 series were thrown in there.....and only when overclocking x6's by a fair bit, and only in some cases.....wost case you get one and RMA it

I like GX boards because I can turn it into an HTPC or a light web browsing PC later if I upgrade.

Back