• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Comfortable headphones?

cam966251

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
1,300
Hi, i was wondering if someone could suggest me comfortable headphones.

I have dealt with so many headphones over the years. I use them for long periods of time (5-6hours) and most of the headphones i use just start to iritate and bother me because of to much pressure or the padding is to hard. Logitech are the absolute worst because they are PAINFUL to my ears. There is no doubt that they have to go completely over my ears. I have used..

Many of the logtiech series....

Altec Lansing Headphones AHP712i

Currently using the Sony MDR-XD400.

I looks to me that the

Sennheiser HD555, ATH-AD700 or the 900 version, Sennheiser HD280 Pro are highly reccomended.

But i am also looking into the

Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones. They look the best to me, and highly reccommended by radio hosts when they do commercials. Do they go completely over your ears?

I am willing to spead a good deal of cash, i will be using these a lot. $200-$300 at the very highest.

Most Importantly, They need to have extreme comfort over long periods of time, The quality doesnt realy mean a thing, because today, technology is so advanced that you wouldnt even notice because i realy am not into high quality sound stuff.

Thank you.

-Cory
 
Comfort? I think you want the Most Comfortable Headphone In Existance, the Beyerdynamic DT770. Get the new, 2006 model 32 ohm version and that's all you'll ever need.
 
lockheed2266 said:
Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones. They look the best to me, and highly reccommended by radio hosts when they do commercials. Do they go completely over your ears?
Blasphemy!
You know its bad when a 12$ headphone almost matches it in sound quality and build quality.


Ok, I noticed a few things in your post I want to comment on. First off, YES you can notice a difference in sound quality between headphones! Technology is not at a point yet where every 5$ headphone on the block can compare with a 500$ headphone. Anyone who tells you differently is selling you Tiffany cupcakes.

Second, avoid the HD280pro at all costs if comfort is a concearn. Yikes. I wonder where people get these ideas from.

Next, the comfort issue addressed: As a general rule of thumb, I find headphones with a soft velour ear pad that fit totally around my ear to provide the best comfort. The velour stays cool, is very soft, and has enough padding to damp clamping force. I find the fake leather to get hot after just a little while.
As you brought up, clamping force is also another concearn. Some prefer almost no clamping force. If this is the case, the headphones will tend to move around a lot. Some prefer just enough clamping force to keep the headphones in place, while still effortless on the head. Also consider how the headband is made. Weight is another thing to consider. As is generally ture, the lighter, the less you will notice them resting on your head.

Some suggestions of comfy headphones (in my opinion):
AKG K701 and K601. I really enjoyed the comfort of these, and sound quality is decent too.
Beyer DT770pro, DT880, DT990pro. These are also very comfy headphones. These three headphoens do not sound the same though, and some are better suited for different applications.
Sennheiser HD555, HD595, HD580, HD600, and HD650.
Any grado with custum C-pads from headphile.com (aka, beyer pads) assuming it fits your head.

Personally, if you want a balanced headphone that is comfrotable for a decent price, the K601 for 220$us is a nice headphone.
If you want a little more of a fun sound, the DT770pro is one to look at for 160-200$us. Hope you like bass :D. And if you want a more laid back sound, you can look at the HD580 for around 140$us or the HD595 for about 190$us.
Add to any of thes a nice little headphone amp, and you should be in business; nice sound quality for extended use!

~Hope this helps
 
Thank you for the awsome advice. I realy cant tell you how much i appreciate it.

Thank you

quick question, do they sell the Beyerdynamic DT770 in the US? i did a quick check on best buy/newegg and i couldnt find it, but i will do a little more searching.
 
i have a pair of senn hd485's and they are very comfy......good sound and price point
 
lockheed2266 said:
Thank you for the awsome advice. I realy cant tell you how much i appreciate it.

Thank you

quick question, do they sell the Beyerdynamic DT770 in the US? i did a quick check on best buy/newegg and i couldnt find it, but i will do a little more searching.


Guitar Center has them...
 
Yea, most of those headphones I mentioned can not be found at your run of the mill store's like best buy, circuit city, tweeter, etc.

headphone.com is a nice site for headphones
as well as ttvj.com and bhphoto.com
Also might be worth it to check your local high end audio dealers to see if they carry headphones.

guitar center sells several headphones, such as the DT770pro 80ohm, and several AKG's.

if you have a lot of free time on your hands, i'll direct you to a great forum for all things headphones
head-fi.org

~Enjoy
 
rayman2k2 said:
Guitar Center has them...

Guitar Center has the old DT770 Pros, the 80 ohm ones. And they are 199.

Ive noticed theres a decent number of Beyers floating around on ebay.
 
Dont get Bose.

Dont get the DT770 unless you plan on getting an amp.

The Sennheiser HD595 is one the most comfortable headphones ever. the 50ohm version doenst require an amp. It is an entry level audiophile headphone for around 200 bucks. You can get it for less on ebay. It will sound great with all types of music and is a great gaming headphone as long as you are in a relatively quiet environment (they are open headphones).
 
cfull said:
Guitar Center has the old DT770 Pros, the 80 ohm ones. And they are 199.

Ive noticed theres a decent number of Beyers floating around on ebay.



no, they have the new 32-ohm ones. I have one on my head...
 
If you get DT700's, get the old 80 ohm version and a pimeta/pint/pa2v2 pocket amp.

The HD595's are a good choice too, but I sold them in favor of the Beyers. The Beyers were my first "high-fi" cans so I can't get rid of them....yet.
 
It's either Beyers or Audio Technica for comfy. Nothing else comes close.
 
spaceman said:
It's either Beyers or Audio Technica for comfy. Nothing else comes close.
I have found several of the senn's and AKG's with velour to be quite comfy as well.........
 
Back
Top