Come see our latest creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shurcooL

[H]ard|Gawd
On the 27th. That should be fun.

appleevite.jpg

If it is going to be a tablet, what screen size do you think it'll have?

Last edited:
I would guess that it'll allow you to hook up a keyboard via Bluetooth.

Just read on Kotaku that they were given an invitation to the event as well. Why would you invite a gaming blog to what's supposed to be a tablet unveiling?

HMMMMMM.

Just read on Kotaku that they were given an invitation to the event as well. Why would you invite a gaming blog to what's supposed to be a tablet unveiling?

HMMMMMM.

Because it's a new game console announcement, not the rumored tablet.

Hoping they add a keyboard, then at least I can do a bit of work on the go.

HMMMMMM.

because it's going to use iphone apps and therefore games.

because it's going to use iphone apps and therefore games.
I don't think iPhone apps, but something more like OSX or a version of OSX, or maybe a port of the iPhone OS and new app store etc?

My thoughts on the tablet are this, Take the Macbook Air, take off the keyboard/mouse, invert the screen and lay it flat ontop of the bottom case. Give it multitouch, and vola! iSlate, or Macbook Touch. But if we did that, think about what you would get. Core 2 Duo 1.86Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, and an nVidia 9400GS. And while the 9400GS is by no means an amazing preforming card, There are very few older games (TF, CS:S, AoE, Civ) that I can't play. Not to mention if they base it off the MBA hardware, it will run full fledged OS X, and we would be able to bootcamp windows.

Thats my hope at least, what I know is

iLife 10 is coming out, more bulk, more effects, nothing I actually need or care about.
iPhone OS 4. Multitasking support (will probably be limited to specific applications at first), hopefully a better notification system, home screen becomes slightly more useful, Google maps app get an update to become more GPS like, or google maps gets replaced entirely with a more GPS like application, the original iPhone will get left out of this update (apple will claim that it doesn't have enough horsepower to run the new multitasking, but the reality is apple can't make money on them anymore, and all their applecare is about to run out anyway, so if their phone breaks they are just going to get a 3Gs anyway), apple will also only allow for the current generation of the iPod touch to be included in the 4.0 software update as usual it will cost $10 which there will be much bitching about until it gets jailbroken, and everyone torrents it anyway, then jailbreaks.
iSlate. Apple will release a tablet, it will be called something dumb, and it will be not much more then a glorified iPod Touch. It may pack an intel pine trail processor, it will probably have a 10" screen, and apple will have some line about how "You asked for a netbook, we did you one better." They have invited the gaming community because they are going to try and sell people on how "the iPod touch was the best mobile gamimg platform, but we have revolutionized again and now there will be no other choice then the i(product name here)." At first the games will be the same ones avalible via the app store, then some will come out only for this, however the graphics will be no better then the PSP, and ultimately sell about as well to gamers. In the end apple will sell them like hotcakes to all the "daddy's money" girls (much like they have just about every gimped 1st gen product) all the while getting huge amounts of flack from the tech community about how it took apple this long to develop something that is based on existing technology and yet it failed this hard. Apple will revise it in its 2nd gen and capture a few more geeks, but still it will be a complete bust.

Final thoughts: Apple isn't going to do a game console, if they were, too many leaks would have come out of game studios, not to mention that gamers aren't apple's market. If they were apple would do more to cater their computer line for them, but the truth is their market is hipsters, creative types (photographers, film makers, studio artists, etc), and those (like me) who want to have a laptop that with no hacking can run every major OS on the market. iPhone OS 4, also could be the reason that we are bringing in the game community, because OpenCL could be finally polished enough that they are going to do a full implementation and game studios are going to design on it for the iPhone/iPod touch. If this is the case it would be nice as finally we could get some games that don't look like they are for dreamcast/PSX

My Prediction:

iLife, not much new here. BUT, if it incorporates a OneNote variety, I will cry more than when I saw Free Willy when I was 7. It will be the most joyous, and long overdue, occasion in my thirst for technology.

iPhone. New iphone, maybe. New OS, definitely.

Tablet: there is going to be a tablet. Said tablet will have a screen between 7-11" and will run the new iphone 4.0 os. It will be like your Ipod Touch, but will work with bluetooth keyboards and the magic mouse. It might work with the new iLife, and the iphone might work with it too. Price range will be between $500-700. The device will be an amalgamation of netbook/e-reader/student laptop. Nothing more than office-like software, im/websurfing, a new e-book program, and the casual games that currently work on the iphone/pod. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of ipod suffle like ability to navigate your music while the thing is in your bag.

Apple will claim that for the majority of people, this device will be sufficient as their ipod, netbook, laptop, and spiral notebook. I'll consider selling my macbook for it, but my fiancee will give me a dirty look and that idea will be squashed until I can afford it, and a nice present for her.

My prediction: there won't be a new tablet device.

It'd be just too good to be true...

God, I hope I'm wrong. :/

My prediction: there won't be a new tablet device.

It'd be just too good to be true...

God, I hope I'm wrong. :/

There are just too many rumors for there to be no tablet at all.

Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0 (which will run on the Tablet), and iLife 2010 seems about right. Maybe a last-second MBP update, but I think Apple would rather wait for WWDC to announce that, as the focus here will be on mobile computing.

Maybe a last-second MBP update, but I think Apple would rather wait for WWDC to announce that, as the focus here will be on mobile computing.

So a conference on mobile computing wouldn't want to have anything to do with their laptop line then would it?

So a conference on mobile computing wouldn't want to have anything to do with their laptop line then would it?

By "mobile," I mean devices that use iPhone OS. Which would apparently include the Tablet.

MacBooks use the desktop version of OS X and so for purposes of categorization would be better reserved for WWDC, where they can be refreshed alongside the rumored preview of 10.7.

By "mobile," I mean devices that use iPhone OS. Which would apparently include the Tablet.

MacBooks use the desktop version of OS X and so for purposes of categorization would be better reserved for WWDC, where they can be refreshed alongside the rumored preview of 10.7.

True, but you have to think of this event as the macworld keynote. WWDC has always been focusing on new OS and app development. The Macworld keynotes were always around hardware, and a new OS if they had one. My guess is that we will see a speedbump in the macbook line, however it will probably be after the tablet announcement, and be 5 minutes tops stating, We are bumping all the 15 and 17 inch MBPs to i5/i7 and changing the 13" MBP and MB to faster intel chips. They have done feature bumps like this at just about every macworld keynote I have watched when they weren't announcing completely new laptop lines. Come to think of it, just about every event that apple has had that hasn't been specifically about iPhone/iPod has had a laptop spec bump come right after it. Its always a shame to see that the macmini gets left out so many times though.

True, but you have to think of this event as the macworld keynote. WWDC has always been focusing on new OS and app development. The Macworld keynotes were always around hardware, and a new OS if they had one.

Why do I have to think of this as the Macworld keynote? It's a special press event at the end of January; it's a month away from Macworld, which used to be at the beginning of January.

This event is apparently about a Tablet and iPhone OS 4.0; that would leave a developer preview of OS X 10.7 and updated Mac hardware for WWDC. It's not as if Apple has never introduced hardware at WWDC before.

My guess is that we will see a speedbump in the macbook line, however it will probably be after the tablet announcement, and be 5 minutes tops stating, We are bumping all the 15 and 17 inch MBPs to i5/i7 and changing the 13" MBP and MB to faster intel chips.

Plausible, but I think they'll wait until WWDC to refresh everything; it'll give them extra time to incorporate the Mobility Radeon 5000 line if they choose to go that route.

I also don't think they'd want their Mac refreshes to be overshadowed by the Tablet and iPhone OS 4.0. Let's be honest, spec upgrades in the MBP line would be third-tier news if announced on the same day as the Tablet and new iPhone software.

Sticking / closing this thread until tomorrow when the event is on.

ipod-touch1.jpg

So far it's just a big iPod Touch but for old people.

plus iPad sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

But yeah, its a bigger iPoS touch.

Wow, it was just revealed 15 minutes ago and people are already complaining about it?

I think it'll be marketed to people of all ages...
Kids -> content from Disney, etc.
Older Kids/Students -> eBooks, streaming videos (youtube, hulu)
Adults ->newspapers, eBooks, videos

Wow, it was just revealed 15 minutes ago and people are already complaining about it?

It's [H]ard|forum, not Macrumors! :p

Just sayin' so far I'm not impressed, I see no reason why this thing exists.

It's [H]ard|forum, not Macrumors! :p

Yeah well, I'm an Apple Fanboy but I think I can see right through this one..

I'm curious about the price.

Yeah, me too, I'm mostly hoping for an updated iPhone OS Beta with some of these elements though..

Specs look nice, IPS display, 1ghz Apple developed ARM chip.

Just sayin' so far I'm not impressed, I see no reason why this thing exists.

At least let them make the full presentation before you dismiss it.

(And no, I don't see the point of tablets either, but clearly someone somewhere thinks these things are useful, so give Apple a chance to make their case.)

At least let them make the full presentation before you dismiss it.

(And no, I don't see the point of tablets either, but clearly someone somewhere thinks these things are useful, so give Apple a chance to make their case.)

Hey, don't get your panties in a wad, it's a bit of fun too, I like the specs, I like the form factor, the software hasn't grabbed me yet, I'll let them finish, but so far I'm not seeing it.

What's wrong with talking about it before the event is over? We can't still speculate?

Macbook Pro and iPhone user all the way here, and I see no point to this thing.
We already know its gonna be overpriced and have a locked down OS. They're already touting the App store in the presentation so you know that is how they will be delivering content and software to it.

Macbook Pro and iPhone user all the way here, and I see no point to this thing.
We already know its gonna be overpriced and have a locked down OS. They're already touting the App store in the presentation so you know that is how they will be delivering content and software to it.

Eh, the locked down, app-store approach doesn't bug me so much anymore considering the abundance and quality of apps there are.

I'm in the camp that thinks jailbreaking is a waste of time and resources and stability now.. but I was all gungho for it before the app store existed and with earlier versions of the OS.

engadget said:
10:09AM "What kind of tasks? Browsing the web. Doing email. Enjoying and sharing Pics. Watching videos. Enjoying music. Playing games. Reading ebooks."
web: I want resolution, you fail.
Email: I want a keyboard, you fail.
Pictures: I want resolution, you fail.
Music: I want small size, you fail.
Games: I want POWER, you fail.
Ebooks: I want a screen I can stare at for hours, you fail.

Congrats apple. You FAIL.

Eh.. Ebooks I'll give you, the rest though I can see this working well enough for.

I still see no reason for it to exist, but just because they don't meet your specs doesn't mean it fails for everyone.

Eh, the locked down, app-store approach doesn't bug me so much anymore considering the abundance and quality of apps there are.

I'm in the camp that thinks jailbreaking is a waste of time and resources and stability now.. but I was all gungho for it before the app store existed and with earlier versions of the OS.

Agreed on jailbraking, I like my stuff to work.

But I also like to be able to install whatever I want from a download. Also if it were running OS X we could plug our USB stuff into it and use it just like on main computers if we want.

you forgot:

Battery: I want it to last for weeks, like the kindle, you fail.

I have to say I'm not too impressed with it, up to this point. This is suppose to fill the space between a smart phone and a laptop, but I just don't see how it provides any advantage in having, if you already own the other two.

Jobs took a minute to take a jab at Netbooks, but so far I haven't seen any indication this thing gives you any true multi-tasking and it just seems like a glorified iPhone OS. Meh...

They shoulda just made something similar to a netbook with a ULV processor, I would spend money on that, but not on this ipad.

Brushes actually looks pretty cool on it. I wish they would go more in depth on the hardware and tech specs. though.

Well I'm for darn sure not buying this product, they would have had my money if it were 11" with ULV like a nicer netbook.
Oh well, Acer Timeline here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back