Come one, come all and post your views!!!!

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
T'evenin peeps,

Im currently running the rig in my sig (only difference is theres 2GB Corsair now rather than 1GB Infineon) on a 17" LCD (Native 1280 x 1024) and have absolutely no problems with it......except i know it could be faster if i sold the X850XT PE and wacked a X1900XTX in there :rolleyes:

I know it sounds a little 'wallet to small for my fifties, diamond shoes too tight' but ive got the cash and wanted to know peeps opinions are, my upgrade fingers twitchin but i dont want to plumb for it if its only gonna make a slight difference to the gaming experience. So questions that need answering are...........

X850XT PE -------> X1900XTX muchos better? (Pics of Oblivion with HDR make me envious :( )
Is my rig upto the task? Processor + Ram or will it be just a big bottleneck?
Is there any point seen as i only play at 1280 x 1024 which is my screens native.
Should i upgrade the screen too?
Or should i just wait a year to go dual core, DX10, G100/R700 etc etc.

WTF should i do?

P.S Can sell X850 for around £140-50ish and buy X1900XTX for around £340-50....

512mb 1800xt is how much there? I would go with that for a bang and buck.

Yes, an X1900XTX performs MUCH better than an X850XT PE. Both are the best cards for completely different video card generations.

OcUK have loads of good cards on special at the mo:

X1900XT (MSI, Powercolor) ~£295
X1800XT 512Mb ~£235
7900GT ~£215
X1800XT 256Mb ~£170 :eek:

The top and bottom cards represent the best value IMO.

EDIT: X1900XT-X will cost you ~£330

I'd go for the x1800xt since your limited to 1280x1024... don't worry about bottlenecking btw.

Your Tagan psu should also be upgraded. I reccommend a quality, minimum 500w psu, larger if you can afford it.

Cheers for all responses guys....

Im checkin on a few X1900XTX on ebay at the mo (slightly risky I know, but i got my X850 from there and it worked a treat), cant seem to see many X1800XT though. Plus is there really much difference between a X850XT PE and a X1800XT other than SM 3, HDR and FSAA etc.

Like i say im still happy with my comp, get 0 lag or slowdown in BF2, Doom 3....60+ FPS constant, its only FEAR and Oblivion (obviously as these are the most GPU and CPU intensive games out now) that i'd want a little more power for....

Its a shame i cant OC my Prescott to stretch its legs a little....damn HP P.O.S :rolleyes:

Also whats up with the Tagan? 420w, 22 on +12v, dedicated PCI-E power cable????? Oh man!!!!

your power supply is just fine for a single card system. even if you got an x1900xtx, that power supply will work fine.

only if you had a substantial processor overclock, and/or a dual core processor would I suggest mabye stepping up to a more powerful power supply.

but really, computers don't use as much power as most people think that they do.

have fun with your new video card.

chameleoneel said:
your power supply is just fine for a single card system. even if you got an x1900xtx, that power supply will work fine.

only if you had a substantial processor overclock, and/or a dual core processor would I suggest mabye stepping up to a more powerful power supply.

but really, computers don't use as much power as most people think that they do.

exactly,. a QUALITY 500w for a single gfx card is a bit overkill dont you think? :p

Yeah i was hoping that was the case, i bought it to go with the X850 PE over a year ago, the comp was running of a 300w 'Breastec' PSU :eek: with a X600 until i upgraded. An after askin round it seemed the Tagan was good for my needs for at least a couple of years...until i brave building my own rig with an AMD cpu.

Anybody had any 'real world' experience upgrading from a X850 PE to either an X1800 or X1900? Im aware of the 3Dmark benefits etc but just wondering bout FPS and IQ on Oblivion FEAR BF2 etc. Currently run native res of 1280 x 1024 with lowish AF and AA settings and pretty much highest settings in everything else.

chameleoneel said:

I have found a quality psu to be extremely important when dealing with the x1900 series of cards. Had a powerstream 420 with 30 amps on the 12v line, which is much better than the tagan, couldn't handle the load for an extended period of time. Yes I was stress testing. I like my systems to be rock solid under all circumstances. But to each his own...

Well gents, ive plumbed for the X1900XTX......i couldnt resist it :D

Now to figure out how im gonna feed myself for the next month.......

Buztafen said:
Well gents, ive plumbed for the X1900XTX......i couldnt resist it :D

Now to figure out how im gonna feed myself for the next month.......
Plant a garden, eat the bugs untill harvest.

Back