Comcast Wants To Convert Pirating Subscribers

Did anyone actually read linked article? It appears Comcast is doing this with their INTERNET service and not their TV service.

I would bet it is very difficult to pirate Comcast's TV service these now that they are 100% digital. Each digital device has to be programmed into Comcast's system or they won't work. Perhaps someone could clone a paying subscriber's device, but Comcast might be watching for two devices with the same address.

I wouldn't doubt that someone has, or will figure out how to decode Comcast's digital signal, but I bet the devices wouldn't be cheap and Comcast would have their lawyers on the case immediately if they ever found out about it.

Each digital device does not have to be programmed into their service. Those asinine digital boxes are for fools, those provide lower def content than just hookig up your tv to the cable. Same deal at my house, my parents house, and my girlfriends house.

Seriously, a la carte is what people want. I just don't see it happening without them gouging the price so high it wouldn't be worth it.

This. You want ala carte? Sure, no problem. Each channel is gonna cost you 5 times what you pay now for bundle. How you like dem apples, eh?

Are they going to offer a free alternative, that has up to date media and information?

I cannot see this having much of an impact, except to those that don't have a clue what is going on.

"Every time you pirate a song, the Flying Spaghetti Monster loses a noodly appendage. Please, think of the noodly appendages!"

Each digital device does not have to be programmed into their service. Those asinine digital boxes are for fools, those provide lower def content than just hookig up your tv to the cable. Same deal at my house, my parents house, and my girlfriends house.

Has Comcast converted to 100% digital in your area yet? There is nothing that can be received with a cable ready TV anymore. You basically must have one of their boxes or TV that accepts a CableCard. My parents have just the basic cable service and even they have to have a little digital box now.

Incorrect sir this has been one of the highest ticket sales years, I dont have the article link but I just read it a couple weeks ago.

Totals: $6,843,352,995 2013 TOTAL box office sales till now, last year was 10.9 billion we still have the rest of the year to go which mean we will probably surpass last years amount....

Compared to the sales of at home digital content , I would imagine it dwarfs $10.9 Billion. I would also imagine the industry is resistant to releasing the full at home digital sales figure including VOD sales as well since they likely don't want anyone to know that people are spending more at home then they are in the theater.

If they provide a service where I can pay a subscription fee and I can search for and download stuff, I'd probably pay for it. The TV networks need to stop being assholes and allow such a system... and also not turn around and find another way to gauge people.

Also given you have to pay for TV, there should be no commercials. There should be a free channel line up, and they could put commercials there if they want, but the channels you pay for should not have commercials. It would be like charging people to use Facebook.

Back