Comcast Troubles - Constant dropping, etc

taylorwilsdon

2[H]4U
Here's a pingplotter graph I just took

wwwcomcastnetri5.png

Basically, for about a week now I am connected for about 5 minutes then dropped for the same. Its happening with all computers in the house (about 15) some desktop and some laptop.

My setup is:
Router (motorola surfboard, pretty old) -> main wired router/hardware firewall -> wired router that runs to the ports throughout the house.

Wireless routers are plugged into the wired ports throughout the house. They are 5 x Linksys wrt54g routers.

The oddest thing is that some services remain unaffected. Outlook generally (although it has dropped a couple times, not nearly as often) is fine, and Xbox live (halo 3 :D) has only dropped once in two days.

Does anybody have any ideas? My thought is that the modem is going but before I plunk down the $$$ on a new modem I'd like to exhaust my options.

Possible double NAT issue...with all those routers.

I'd look to isolate what's failing...the actual connection to the street, or clients connecting to whichever of that fleet of routers they're setup on.
Common cause of the modem itself dropping the connection is a failing splitter.

It happens even when wired straight in the wall, which bypasses the linksys routers. It leaves just the wired routers, which I'm pretty sure are fine. I rebooted everything in steps (modem, 10 seconds, switch 1, 10 seconds etc) without any improvement. Packet loss is about 90% 24x7

I'm pretty sure at this point that its either comcast or the physical modem, because running straight off the modem produces the same results (bypassing all routers/switches still gets packet loss)

Try replacing the splitter with a new one..seriously, it seems like that's the culprit 9 out of 10 times.

If you have a splitter out-doors, you may find you're replacing it yearly.

we've been having extremely horrid issues in detroit (downtown) with my building and i think a few others.

basically, speeds went to shit a few weeks ago
and my modem would drop offline, then come back online, sometimes hours apart.
sometimes even longer. sometimes only 5 minutes.

the last couple weeks have been hell.

Log into your modem (normally 192.168.100.1) and check what your power levels are. You may have to much noise on your line. Do the lights on the modem go out at all when the connection drops.

I have been having the same problem with comcast in my area, pissing me off.

We had this problem in our apartment, it turned out that for whatever reason we weren't receiving enough signal from the street device. Comcast came and installed some sort of amplifying device. They told us that eventually the signal would be boosted on the street level, but that never happened, so we have left the amp thing on and its fine now. We also had a squirrel problem where they were chewing on the cables on the outside of the building.

Back