comcast or qwest internet?

hk09

Limp Gawd
I currently use qwest 7mb internet and I want to increase it to 12 mb. The question is should I change from qwest to comcast? Comcast cost 6 dollars more per months. Which one is faster or just the same?
Thank you

I currently use qwest 7mb internet and I want to increase it to 12 mb. The question is should I change from qwest to comcast? Comcast cost 6 dollars per months. Which one is faster or just the same?
Thank you

Well...Comcast as a performance package that currently goes up to 16 megs. Plus with their powerboost feature on their packages..even lesser packages can burst up to 20 megs...in some areas even 30 megs or more.

Qwest has packages up to 20 megs in speed.

So both offer packages that exceed your criteria of 12 megs. It's up to you and your budget.

I don't know where you see that Comcast is only "6 dollars per month" though....I've never seen it that low.

I'd do anything I can to avoid Comcast...and FWIW, since no location was given, giving a blanket statement of Comcast goes up to 16 megs is not true. Comcast in my area only goes up to 8mb with their "powerboost" going up to 12mb. A couple areas have a bit faster but nothing in the 16mb range. Qwest too only offers up to 20 mb and that's with their FIOS service, otherwise I think their max on DSL is 7mb.

It really depends on what your using your internet connection for, DSL is notorious for having more packet loss, and a little more latency in the transmission. So for things like games, VOIP or (god save us) SQL transactions Cable is a better Choice.

For things like File transfers, email, surfing the web and even Bit torrent Its a complete toss up, which ever has a faster speed/price ratio would be your best bet.

FYI I prefer Comcast, I've used Qwest, Verizon and a couple local telco DSL's and nothing so far has compared to my comcast connection. But that's just my opinion :)

don't make your choice on so called burst or download boost. they only last 1-3 at max.. stupid ad ploy that people are jumping on. once they find out what kind of download or stream it is, it always drops back to normal speed. so unless your downloading 4mb documents all the time speed boost is like getting a nice shoes for someone that has no feet.

don't make your choice on so called burst or download boost. they only last 1-3 at max.. stupid ad ploy that people are jumping on. once they find out what kind of download or stream it is, it always drops back to normal speed. so unless your downloading 4mb documents all the time speed boost is like getting a nice shoes for someone that has no feet.

Agreed!

I'd do anything I can to avoid Comcast...and FWIW, since no location was given, giving a blanket statement of Comcast goes up to 16 megs is not true. Comcast in my area only goes up to 8mb with their "powerboost" going up to 12mb. A couple areas have a bit faster but nothing in the 16mb range. Qwest too only offers up to 20 mb and that's with their FIOS service, otherwise I think their max on DSL is 7mb.

I didn't give a blanket statement..I said they offer a package up to..and followed with "in some areas"

When they deployed powerboost in my area...early on I was bursting up past 70 and 80 megs til they evened things out! :) I miss that. Eventually it settled down to a rock steady 28 megs. Other friends of mine using them in my state are also about that speed. Of course..you have to have a router with enough balls to keep up with it..so that rules out a whooooole bunch of users from seeing the actual performance of this. Wish I still had them. Best ISP I've had at home...rock stable and reliable...and I work with their support a lot on the job...best easiest support of alllllll the ISPs I deal with (and that's a LOT of different ISPs)

With Comcast it's the first 10 megs. It drops to whatever your speed package is rated it after that 10th meg. Once you're used to it...once you get spoiled by it...you sure miss it.

Web sites snappy as heck, the usual downloads of utilities, e-mail with attachments, the majority of stuff....wow...blink of an eye..it's nice.

I just looked at QWEST vs Comcast speeds.

Well in my area Qwest would be cheaper and a better deal 12 Mbps for 46 vs comcast 6 Mbps for 49.95.

Or even 7 Mbps for 24.99 vs comcast 6 for 49.95

It's all relative to location, 16 Mbps comcast Blast isn't available where I live, nor is qwest.. just a comparison though.

Isn't it cable is more faster than telephone port?? BTW, I lived in Eugene, OR 97401. They have offer 33 dollars per months for the first 3 months. What is downstream for comcast cable?

What is downstream for comcast cable?

You can go to their website..type in your address/zip code...and see which packages are available for you from them....6, 8, 16, etc...so downstream would be that package.

Completely disagree with you there. When it comes to things like uploading files via FTP or attaching email attachments, or basically downloading/uploading small files (10MB or less), there is a significant boost in speed, most notable with uploads (since upload speed is more limited to begin with). I noticed it way before hearing it advertised, so to say it is just a ploy is wrong. You actually notice it in every day use. Now for things like large file transfers and torrenting, powerboost doesn't help much (just the first 10 megs).

Plus comcast filter's torrents

Maybe for you, but I get constant 100k upload and 100-700 k down depending on the torrent. If they are filtering I don't really care because it's still plenty fast. My router seems to be the cause of more torrenting problems than Comcast.

Disclaimer - I was going to switch to Qwest 7m/896k when comcast had my upload limited to 384k. However, in the last 2 weeks, they increased my upload to 1 meg, so I'm sticking with Comcast.

is comcast 6mbps faster than qwest 7mbps??

It really depends on what you are doing. For me, since I mostly use web, email, and torrents, upload is huge. If comcast limits upload to 384k in your area, and you torrent a lot, I'd go for qwest. But in general if the up/down speeds were the same, I think cable in general is a bit snappier than dsl.

Back