comcast hates torrents

ok.. so we have comcast internet..

it will run non-stop for days, but once i get a few torrents going it craps out..

i had a dl-604 router.. and then about a week ago i switched to a hawking hwr54g wireless router... the wireless router was staying connected better.. but i killed it by running 4 torrents at once..

now, with the old router, the cable modem would jsut disconnect.. it would go down to 1 flashing light.. with this one, everything appeared to be working.. the modem will have 5 flashing lights just like everything is working, but it won't connect..

i unplugged both the router and modem twice.. let them reconnect.. and it wouldn't work.. so i went to teh computer with the torrents, paused the torrents.. then uplugged the router and modem and it worked right away after plugging them back in..

so, what do you think the deal is? is seems like comcast has something that just cuts my connection, especially since the modem appeared to be connected.. or can home-grade routers just not handle that much?

its not fun to have to run up and down the stairs to plug and unplug the modem and router to get reconnected..

also,... its and RCA cable modem, what is the ip to get nito it? i used to know and odn't anymore.. i can't reset it remotely anyways though.. i remember that..

i think the cable modem is 192.168.0.1

i've d/l'ed large files and torrents and have not had an issue with comcast cutting me off. I did have issues before but those were issues with the box outside. Might want to stop by the comcast support forums. Be sure to have your signal levels ready and post those cause thats the first thing everyone asks.

Sometimes, too many connections can cause your router to die and force you to reboot it ;)

Well, the router dying may be because torrenting causes a flood of connections which many of the older generation SOHO routers just can't handle. The cable modem dying on the other hand may be a result of signal strength in your area or the RCA modem itself. Is it one of the older white RCA's or a newer one? What model is it? If it's one of the older stand-up types that may be your problem.

When I first got comcast years ago I was issued one of the older standup RCA models and after about six months or so of use it would just die intermittently. It turns out that comcast had upgraded thier equipment in my area and the older RCA modem didn't speak the same language. i.e. DOCSIS.

You could see if Comcast could: A) Check the signal strength on your lines and/or B) Replace your RCA modem with a Motorola model.

Having older splitters or amplifiers on your line before the modem could also cause intermittent issues. If you have any older splitters before the cable modem, try purchasing a newer high frequency (ones with support for digital satelite are usually fine) one and putting it directly on the comcast feed, then run one end to the cable modem and the other to the rest of the house. Make your cable modem one of the first things that has access to the line and inspect all of your cabling for damage or loose connections. This includes the outside of your house where the connection actually comes in.

If you want to torrent though, I'd recommend setting up a BSD/Linux router box or purchasing a heaviery duty router than the di-604. Here are some of the best out there right now:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029889656&postcount=4

delete me please. I am a post by someone who did not read the thread carefully.

Yeah, this really has nothing to do with comcast - it's your router. I know with the old wrt-54gs there were problems with torrents - they kept a history of open/previoiusly open connections for waaay too long and the table that held them would fill very quickly and everything would come to a crawl.

Back