Comcast Denies Filtering BitTorrent Traffic

Coming from the Houston area (where we were recently forced to Comcast):

upload.png

Methinks they are all bark and no bite, or can't detect encrypted packets.

comcast is prob doing what rogers is doing, basically:
They won't be looking for encrypted packets, because that would stop https and VPN's and things like that.
They use hardware traffic inspection (there's a booming trade in the routers that use packet inspection), so having encryption enabled doesn't do anything to stop the shaping unless the ISP is using a primitive shaping method.

But now with rogers on their new 99 range i noticed that the upload speed is CRAP, like 10kb max, BUT as soon as i hit around 7-10Kkb, my download speed drops like a ton of bricks as if i was maxing out my upload speed, so basically, if you upload anything, thye throttle your download, so in the end they will end up with everyone turning their uplaod speed to like 1KB max, thus no one is sharing, and poof! their network problems are over!

Of course. BitTorrent distribution embraces the true spirit of the open-source community - everyone cooperating and sharing to help everyone.
So does the practice of including a download link on your website, so that people can obtain it quickly and easily.

Legitimate file transfers make up only a miniscule portion of the overall torrent traffic, and any suggestion otherwise is just plain comical.

By the way. I don't personally see that there is anything 'wrong' with an ISP throttling torrent traffic. I don't even see that there'd be anything 'wrong' with authorities or governments regulating that such throttling has to occur. It's not as if the distribution of legitimate contetn is going to be adversely affected. There are plenty of other distribution mechanisms, which aren't so easily and readily exploited for distribution of illegitimate content.

If the 'gravy train' dries up the sobeit. It becomes a fond memory. Stiff shit. All the inferences that a 'moral crusade' is underway are just bullshit.

Methinks they are all bark and no bite, or can't detect encrypted packets.

If I understand Sandvine tech, encryption does not help. You're talking in English, than an operator breaks in and says "K THX BAI" and connection terminated. Then, you're talking in encrypted gibbersih, but operator breaks in and says "K THX BAI" and connection terminated. (Since regardless of packet encryption or not, the TCP RESET is recogonized).

Also, I can't believe I forgot about this, because that would definitely explain why me seeding is shit. <certain-HD-site-here> is hard enough on a damn asymmetric connection (grabbing HR CSI <3), but when I max out at like 8kb/s....gaaaah.

I'll try routing through a shell later tonight and confirm if I'm being shafted; possibly extend it out to other to test (with a proper "test' torrent).

So does the practice of including a download link on your website, so that people can obtain it quickly and easily.

Legitimate file transfers make up only a miniscule portion of the overall torrent traffic, and any suggestion otherwise is just plain comical.

By the way. I don't personally see that there is anything 'wrong' with an ISP throttling torrent traffic. I don't even see that there'd be anything 'wrong' with authorities or governments regulating that such throttling has to occur. It's not as if the distribution of legitimate contetn is going to be adversely affected. There are plenty of other distribution mechanisms, which aren't so easily and readily exploited for distribution of illegitimate content.

If the 'gravy train' dries up the sobeit. It becomes a fond memory. Stiff shit. All the inferences that a 'moral crusade' is underway are just bullshit.

So bittorrent dies, then evey one does have links on their sites to download, and people do it that way, either way the bandwidth will get used, so what next, they throttle HTTP traffic then ?

bottom line is they are advertising one thing and then telling you , no sorry, even though you bought and paid for this service, your not allowed to use as we stated.

Back