Comcast Business Class

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Lets just say im pleased with my new internet we just turned up at my businesses home office. Its faster than the one in my actual main office haha.

comcast.jpg

Needs more upload. ;)

Still though, that's not bad. I recently bumped up to a 75/75 here at home and I love it because I have to send a lot of large files back and forth. Uploads that used to take hours and hours on my old 5Mb/s stream are now done in minutes. It's good times.

Mind sharing what you're paying?

I am in a comcast only market and they do not offer high upload.

I am paying about $120/mon for business class unlimited usage and static IP.

I would kill to have a FIOS connection like you probably have.

This test was ran through my desktop, sig rig below, connected via Cisco 2960G-24port switch
And my router is a Cisco 1921 Integrated Services with IOS Zone FW (so if anything it proves one thing, my router can handle much more than this is even throwing at it)

We have Charter - they offered a 100 and 150MB package but we just ended up going with the 50. Fast enough for us!

That is really high burst rate, my Comcast Business class only bursts to 30, then drops to 22 down.
Where I am at it is $100 with no static IP's.

There is no speedboost or whatever dumb marketing ploy they use with business class. I think the burst is just the time it takes for the TCP window size to negotiate with comcast server or for quality of service throttling they use to control bandwidth. It just takes a few moments to kick in.

I would love to have the 50/10 but they are really gouging for charging another 89 a month at $189.00 per month for that plan. I cant understand why the fact that Docsis 3 can support 160/140 or something like that and comcast and other cable isp's are sticking us with shit bandwidth plans.

Have a few clients on Comcasts 50/10 and 100/10 packages...they rock. Good uptime. I don't consider Comcast expensive compared to other higher rate broadbands. Plus Comcasts biz support dept is excellent, local people...no "Habu's in India" like the telco's.

Have a few clients on Comcasts 50/10 and 100/10 packages...they rock. Good uptime. I don't consider Comcast expensive compared to other higher rate broadbands. Plus Comcasts biz support dept is excellent, local people...no "Habu's in India" like the telco's.

Hell the 22/5 rocks... I am literally transferring about 590GB (bothways combined) of data as we speak at 100% of my subscribed speed just to test out the stability of this connection and right now it is PERFECT! It's gonna take a week and few days sure but I need to know if this is reliable for hosting production products on it and I have a 30 day money back gaurantee. So I want to run it through the ringer before I make my final decision.

There is no speedboost or whatever dumb marketing ploy they use with business class. I think the burst is just the time it takes for the TCP window size to negotiate with comcast server or for quality of service throttling they use to control bandwidth. It just takes a few moments to kick in.

Comcast employs what is known as a “Token bucket system”. “Tokens” (representing data) flow into a “Bucket” at a constant rate and the bucket “fills up”. When you first begin a download, you start by downloading data from your “bucket”. There is no artificial limitation on the speed at which you can download (burst) from your “bucket” and it is common to see speeds in excess of 60Mbps. Once your bucket is depleted however, your download slows and continues only at the speed at which data is flowing into your “bucket”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_bucket

shaper2.png

I'm also on Comcast business 22/5. My burst at this point is mainly limited by the CPU in my m0n0wall, the Pentium 2 450mhz caps out at about 60Mbps and I've been lazy to upgrade it, but it doesn't really matter beyond the burst.

Comcast employs what is known as a “Token bucket system”. “Tokens” (representing data) flow into a “Bucket” at a constant rate and the bucket “fills up”. When you first begin a download, you start by downloading data from your “bucket”. There is no artificial limitation on the speed at which you can download (burst) from your “bucket” and it is common to see speeds in excess of 60Mbps. Once your bucket is depleted however, your download slows and continues only at the speed at which data is flowing into your “bucket”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_bucket

shaper2.png

I'm also on Comcast business 22/5. My burst at this point is mainly limited by the CPU in my m0n0wall, the Pentium 2 450mhz caps out at about 60Mbps and I've been lazy to upgrade it, but it doesn't really matter beyond the burst.

Do you or did you use to work for comcast?
Awesome info. Thanks!

Comcast employs what is known as a “Token bucket system”. .

Except on their Docsis 3 business plans...they don't use the SpeedBoost (first 10 megs of a download are wide open at whatever free bandwidth your node has).....the speeds I bench at at my clients Docsis 3 biz plans are what I get all freaking day long 24x7 no matter how huge the file is.

Except on their Docsis 3 business plans...they don't use the SpeedBoost (first 10 megs of a download are wide open at whatever free bandwidth your node has).....the speeds I bench at at my clients Docsis 3 biz plans are what I get all freaking day long 24x7 no matter how huge the file is.

I'm on DOCSIS 3.0 and so is the OP otherwise bursts wouldn't be as high as they are. SpeedBoost behaves exactly the same, and exactly as expected.

If you have any actual data that supports your theory, please post it here as I'd love to see it.

I'm definitely jealous. The highest TW offers here is 50/5. The upload needs to be higher!

We have Comcast 50/10 with a 5 block of IP addresses and pay $200/month. For the speed nothing can come close to that price.

We also still have a T1 but that is just for our hosted Cisco VOIP solution.

In the two years since it was installed we have been down once for 15 minutes. I wish the upstream speed was a bit more to help with our offsite backups but it works.

$200 for 50/10 ? Kind of lame considering they give 50/10 for $100 to home users.

$200 for 50/10 ? Kind of lame considering they give 50/10 for $100 to home users.

The difference being that you are given preference should an issue arise if you are a business client. Some ISPs also provide better service. I cannot comment on the latter because I don't have either or those services.

Comcast home also has data limits put in place, 250 gigs per month. Business does not have this limit but costs more.

I would love to have the 50/10 but they are really gouging for charging another 89 a month at $189.00 per month for that plan. I cant understand why the fact that Docsis 3 can support 160/140 or something like that and comcast and other cable isp's are sticking us with shit bandwidth plans.

I work for Comcast Business Class (in fact, Atlanta is in my support area..sup OP) and this post is wrong.

I'm on DOCSIS 3.0 and so is the OP otherwise bursts wouldn't be as high as they are. SpeedBoost behaves exactly the same, and exactly as expected.

If you have any actual data that supports your theory, please post it here as I'd love to see it.

YeOld is correct in that Business accounts do not have SpeedBoost (we have two of them). They usually over-provision you slightly though. Our 100/10 can do about 105/11, etc.

Home service comes with the SpeedBoost you're describing, and uses tokens. Some areas around here have a cap on their SpeedBoost, some do not (it's neat to get 80mbps on your 12mbps plan, even if it is limited amounts data). I've noticed that I get a cap on my SpeedBoost numbers at home since I went with a special $30/mo for the first 6mo package.

If I'm really REALLY bored I'll post speedtests from a dozen diff clients sprinkled around the state. But others here have posted the same as me also...so...nah...I ain't that bored.

YeOld is correct in that Business accounts do not have SpeedBoost

Comcast Business absolutely does have Speedboost.

I am on Comcast Business and the bursting couldn't be more obvious

If I'm really REALLY bored I'll post speedtests from a dozen diff clients sprinkled around the state. But others here have posted the same as me also...so...nah...I ain't that bored.

Java speed tests that fit entirely within the burst aren't measuring anything in regards to your sustainable throughput. You certainly don't have to post any factual evidence, but then again you are the one making wild claims while at the same time demonstrating your ignorance of the technology involved.

ShaperProbe test on a 22/5 Comcast Buisness connection

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.102.0.85.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 6616 Kbps.
Downstream: 93937 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

Downstream: Burst size: 15621-17445 KB;
Shaping rate: 23408 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

To add with jiveturkey. You're pretty much 100% wrong.

Speedboost is not a marketing ploy......its the same as business.......you get an initial burst of speed over of what your normal download speed plan is (6mb would get 12, 12 would get 22, 22 would get 36ish so on and so forth) for a few moments, then it would go back down to normal speed. If there was a speed test to

Just because the Docsis platform is XXX upload.....does not mean ISP's can just pump that shit out like Dunken Doughnuts does Doughnuts......does not work that way.

There is also the issue of bandwidth on the freq range.....Comcast for my area when I worked for them (around a year ago) was channel's 80-84. Thats in the 600mhz freq range iirc.....it sounds easy but all they have to do is squeeze another quad channels of freq to up the speed, along with a few tweaks to the whole system. Not an easy thing to do, but it costs money.....

Then they still have to figure out how to keep HD channels in that same freq band too....which its hard as well. I think per freq range Comcast has 2-3 HD channels in it?

Ugh, been a while since I took my CT3 training :( So I maybe off on a few things, but its an example none the less.

had terrible luck with Comcast 'business" service. That being said, I've now got a metro E circuit from Comcast, much better.

To add with jiveturkey. You're pretty much 100% wrong.

Speedboost is not a marketing ploy......its the same as business.......you get an initial burst of speed over of what your normal download speed plan is (6mb would get 12, 12 would get 22, 22 would get 36ish so on and so forth) for a few moments, then it would go back down to normal speed. If there was a speed test to

Just because the Docsis platform is XXX upload.....does not mean ISP's can just pump that shit out like Dunken Doughnuts does Doughnuts......does not work that way.

There is also the issue of bandwidth on the freq range.....Comcast for my area when I worked for them (around a year ago) was channel's 80-84. Thats in the 600mhz freq range iirc.....it sounds easy but all they have to do is squeeze another quad channels of freq to up the speed, along with a few tweaks to the whole system. Not an easy thing to do, but it costs money.....

Then they still have to figure out how to keep HD channels in that same freq band too....which its hard as well. I think per freq range Comcast has 2-3 HD channels in it?

Ugh, been a while since I took my CT3 training :( So I maybe off on a few things, but its an example none the less.

Yes, we do channel bonding on the US and DS. Each QAM varies as far as how many HDs are in them. We try to keep high bandwidth channels seperated. In other words, we won't put 3 sports channels in the same QAM carrier. Each channel would fight for bandwidth and more than likely cause tilling

had terrible luck with Comcast 'business" service. That being said, I've now got a metro E circuit from Comcast, much better.

Wow how much are you paying for that? I would love to get a 100m ethernet to my home. But that is probably about $1700.00/mon

And to others out there I was simply told there was not speedboost on the business circuits. However I am only as good as the information that is shared with me by other comcast employees. Of course that was some time ago. Anyways speedboost is just a marketing gimmick to get lesser tech minded people to go "OH MY, I CAN GET A BOOST". And have no clue what that is.

I have had my business circuit now for about 3 days and I have downloaded over 200GB already transferring images and backups etc... to some of my equipment. it is rock solid stable bandwidth.

Last edited:
Wow how much are you paying for that? I would love to get a 100m ethernet to my home. But that is probably about $1700.00/mon

And to others out there I was simply told there was not speedboost on the business circuits. However I am only as good as the information that is shared with me by other comcast employees. Of course that was some time ago. Anyways speedboost is just a marketing gimmick to get lesser tech minded people to go "OH MY, I CAN GET A BOOST". And have no clue what that is.

I have had my business circuit now for about 3 days and I have downloaded over 200GB already transferring images and backups etc... to some of my equipment. it is rock solid stable bandwidth.

1942340183.png

Suffered under Comcast for much too long and just dumped them in favour of XMission Utopia fiber-to-the-home...100Mbps/100Mbps is actually much cheaper than Comcast was at only $45/month: http://www.xmission.com/utopia#more

I'm on a 75/75 w/Fios and it's a very stable connection. From the right sources I can run at my max speed (9.3MB/s) non-stop 24/7. I was paying ~$70 to Comcrap for a 25/3 connection with the retarded data cap and this is $130 w/no cap at all. Pretty sure it's only this cheap because we have a pretty competitive local market. I think the 35/35 is only $50 a month and the 25/25 is $40 and no you don't have to have any other services with them either. Pretty badass. They even let you run straight ethernet into your house so you don't have to use any of their inside equipment.

1942340183.png

Suffered under Comcast for much too long and just dumped them in favour of XMission Utopia fiber-to-the-home...100Mbps/100Mbps is actually much cheaper than Comcast was at only $45/month: http://www.xmission.com/utopia#more

Yeah that looks like Utah or something. It must be freaking nice. sigh.... Atlanta is on the cutting edge of monopolistic total crap speeds compared to a lot of places.

I'm on a 75/75 w/Fios and it's a very stable connection. From the right sources I can run at my max speed (9.3MB/s) non-stop 24/7. I was paying ~$70 to Comcrap for a 25/3 connection with the retarded data cap and this is $130 w/no cap at all. Pretty sure it's only this cheap because we have a pretty competitive local market. I think the 35/35 is only $50 a month and the 25/25 is $40 and no you don't have to have any other services with them either. Pretty badass. They even let you run straight ethernet into your house so you don't have to use any of their inside equipment.

Yup and again Verizon will not run FIOS to GA because this is an ATT and Comcast saturated market and I really wish this is one thing the government would step in and stop and allow other competitors into the market.

Mind telling us a rough cost? Looks like I can't quite get it here yet, but I plan to call and find out next week.

Mind telling us a rough cost? Looks like I can't quite get it here yet, but I plan to call and find out next week.

Dude look at that website he linked. In his small Utah town they are paying like $30/mon lol...

If I got a 100meg ethernet to my house in Atlanta I would be paying in the realm of $9000.00/mon.

Dude look at that website he linked. In his small Utah town they are paying like $30/mon lol...

If I got a 100meg ethernet to my house in Atlanta I would be paying in the realm of $9000.00/mon.

Utopia-price.jpg

Its actually $45/month for the 100Mbps symmetrical...$35/month for the slower 50Mbps!;)

Still wish there wasn't any but 1TB cap seems alot more reasonable nowadays than Comcast's 250MB caps!:eek:

1951166088.png

Back