Combining two power supplies?

ubern00b15

Gawd
I have a shuttle with a few hard drives in it and it seems as though they're not getting enough wattage. I want to use another power supply in conjunction with the one already in my shuttle, but I don't really want to combine them. I just want to be able to switch the other power supply on to power the hard drives so that they're not sucking so much power out of the one in the shuttle. Basically what I'm trying to do is jumper the one power supply so that I don't have to have it connected to a motherboard and still be able to turn it on. :D

instead of all that work, why dont you just buy a better PSU? something that can give out all those watts... i think it would be much easier that what you suggested.

because it's a shuttle, and the power supplies are not that cheap. :rolleyes:

All I want to do is have an extra power supply that I can have sitting outside my case powering my hard drives, and nothing else.

paperclip green-black and then turn on the switch from the back. Problem solved.

Bbq said:
paperclip green-black and then turn on the switch from the back. Problem solved.

I tried that, the psu turns on but without full voltage. My hard drives don't even spin up when they're connected to it.

ubern00b15 said:
I tried that, the psu turns on but without full voltage. My hard drives don't even spin up when they're connected to it.

If you're using more than one hard drive, that should be enough to meet the minimum load requirements of the power supply.

So if the paper clip doesn't work for you, there's something wrong with the power supply.

All a motherboard does to turn a power supply on is ground that green wire. So when you do that with a paperclip, you're doing the same thing the motherboard would do.

Try adding more of a load. Maybe a resistor or two. But it sounds like you're using a crappy second PSU. What is it? A Deer? Codegen?

Back