Combination HTPC, NAS, plex server in one?

cesium666

Supreme [H]ardness
Here's what I would like to accomplish in one box
- 4 disk NAS: 2x4TB JBOD (video storage), 2x2TB RAID1 (docs and other stuff)
- HTPC: connect to receiver and play the stored videos (x264) locally using either xbmc or plex
- Plex server: transcode videos in real-time for remote viewing at reasonbly high quality (4mbps 720p or 10mbps 1080p are doable based on my upload)

I don't foresee the hardware build aspect being too difficult, as there are plenty of micro-atx cases (and even some mini-itx) with 4+ hard drive bays. it would be sitting next to the TV, so quiet is necessary - should be easy with large slow fans and low-power cpu.

What i'm unsure about is cpu and software for the nas.

I'm relatively new to plex, but my understanding is that it only uses CPU for transcoding. based on their guidelines for cpu performance for transcoding, it seems like a Core i3-4130T would be more than enough while giving me very low power usage. thoughts?

I don't really know what to do with regards to the NAS aspect. Do things like FreeNAS work with windows, and is there any issue with mixing raid along with JBOD? Is it even necessary to use NAS software, or would using software raid on the mobo suffice? The idea is to make the raid'd drives a personal cloud of sorts, along with easy sharing and backup among mobile devices and laptops on the same network.

Thanks for any advice!

Sounds like you could probably do all that on a windows box.

Jbod and raid 1 are fine on a standard mobo.
A UPS might be nice to prevent the raid array from needed to be repaired when the power goes out.

Assuming your computers accessing the nas will be windows, you can use the relatively simple windows file sharing.

Good point on the UPS, will definitely throw that in consideration.

Will have macbook along with windows computer accessing the NAS, so need something beyond the native windows file sharing mechanism

I would say any Intel based Quad core should be more then up to the task to transcode.

If you have a microcenter close you can get the 3258 Pentium with motherboard for near 100$. Should be close to an i3 in performance. That being said you might be better off going smaller to go next to the tv.

Back