Colored Plexi?

Asazman

Supreme [H]ardness
A friend of mine wants to build his own dual-computer case, mostly out of colored acrylic, and the places around here would put the price of the materials over $150. Do you guys know of a site that sells colored plexi for cheaper?

good cell cast colored acrylic avergaes 6-10$ a square foot for 1/8" thickness at retail, very few wholesale places will sell small quantities at wholesale prices, they do whole 4'x8' and 4'x10' sheets which are 150$ and up each. Try a local distributor who carries colored plexi, somtimes they will have fairly large scrap pieces which they usally sell by the pound $1.50-2.00 a lb.

you might want to see about using lexan (polycarbonate). it is much stiffer and tougher than acylic, and i have heard it is better for cases, as it supports the weight better. it is a bit more expensive than acylic, and i would guess it is harder to cut too though.

A little known fact is that trophy houses use colored plexi all the time for wall plaques and trophies. try some of them to see what they have laying round. the left overs sometimes yield very good results for those that can improvise, adapt and overcome, and fake it well :D

I found enough to build the 18" X 18" timing light boxes for our sports car club, cost $ 1.00 for four boxes. :D

I like cheap :D

Back