• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Colored dots across screen

Irishllama

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
1,634
AqtHv.jpg


It happens randomly, I thought it was corrupted driver. Cleaned & Updated, still happens.

Dying card perhaps?
 
No OC, and the temps are perfectly fine.


I googled the code I was getting (116) and it seems to be largely a driver issue. I might start playing around with different drivers.
 
I had this problem before, It could be the same. My DVI cable was a little loose, just tightened it up and it was fine.
 
Does it happen anytime? Less frequently when you just turn it on perhaps?
 
If cables and different drivers don't help the memory chip(s) on the card are going bad.
 
Hm, well the dots are gone.

Alas, I cannot play any 3d game (and some times flash videos) without the Nvidia drivers crashing and locking up.
 
Underclocking your ram might extend the card's life enough to replace it. Once it's gone for good, strip it down and toss it in the oven at 350 for 8 minutes or so, let it cool slowly, put it back together and give it a try.
 
I know you said the temps are fine, but what program are you using to monitor them? It could be giving an incorrect reading. Check to see if the fan on the videocard is spinning all the time during operation. It still could be a driver problem. I started experiencing a similar issue recently with certain games, after loading the 266.58 driver. I'd never had any issues prior. It was completely random. All the temps were well within range. The card had a good, 'clean', stable power source, etc. It made absolutely no sense. I'd sometimes start NetKar Pro and the thing would just look like artifacting...lots of pink and purple lines and distortion on screen...other times it would just freeze with blocks of dots (similar to your posted).. everywhere. I RMAed the card, figuring that was the issue. The brand new replacement did the same, so I figured the odds were too great and removed the driver. I installed the 266.77 driver from EVGA's website and the problem went away completely.
 
Last edited:
Hm, I'll fiddle with the drivers again.The temps have always been fine, and this wasn't a slowly progressing issue. It was a turn on the computer one day and bam.
 
Back
Top