College question

Hupo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi. Sorry if this doesnt seem likes its on topic. Im pretty sure it is.

Im going into my senor year of high school. And I LOVE photography. I dont know how to take my hobbie and put it into a career. I love freelance photography. I do NOT want to be stuck at a wedding taking photos. Id like to travel the world and taking photos, maybe for magazines or whatever!!! So what oppurtunities do I have?

2. If I cant get a job like that. What can I do as far as making video games? Is that a hard field to get hired in?

For the photography, it's the same deal as all arts, either you work freelance and starve, or you do comissions (e.g. weddings).
As far as the game production, do you have training in programming and computer science or game design?

Well i think you have alot to learn then.

Univ of Penn has a great program for programming including emphasis on computer graphics, game design and all of that.

As for landing a photography job...i would start by hitting up the college paper at what ever university you have....need some help there? Get involved with your HS paper as the photographer to get some valuable experience since getting into the college paper might not be easy.

Thats the best i can say for now...as for traveling, go study abroad, I know that the university of Delaware has an excellent study abroad program with photography classes that go hike through australia and newzealand and some that go to london. Just look around for what universities near you have to offer and good luck.

My wife got her undergraduate degree in Photography from Texas A&M University-Commerce, its a small school but renowned photography program with graduates like Mark Seliger who does the Rolling Stone Magazine covers. My wife is now in a masters degree program for Psychology. In other words, you have to be highly self motivated if you want to be a professional photographer. Don't waste money on a photography degree unless you know that is what you want to do.

Demonfyre said:
Well i think you have alot to learn then.

Univ of Penn has a great program for programming including emphasis on computer graphics, game design and all of that.

As for landing a photography job...i would start by hitting up the college paper at what ever university you have....need some help there? Get involved with your HS paper as the photographer to get some valuable experience since getting into the college paper might not be easy.

Thats the best i can say for now...as for traveling, go study abroad, I know that the university of Delaware has an excellent study abroad program with photography classes that go hike through australia and newzealand and some that go to london. Just look around for what universities near you have to offer and good luck.

Those schools are close to me to. University of delaware. tell me about that program please.

Well i know that UD has an excellent photography and Visual Comms (VC) program.
I took a few black and white photography classes while i was there...the people in those classes are great! the dark rooms are all very up to date and they even have color photography dark rooms as well! (although that is for the serious only..haha). They have alot of contacts in the UK and Australia, the professors are really dug into the art scene and they have an extensive study abroad program for various majors/classes. I think they go to something like 30 countries.

I know that i had some friends in teh program when i was there that went to Australia and New Zealand for photography and they were there for about a month and a half hiking around and taking photography...pretty sweet deal. Those same friends went to the UK for one summer and lived in a flat right near Abbey Road (i went for a visit for 3 weeks and crashed on teh couch).

I loved that school, I would reccommend it to anyone, just head over to it and walk around and take a tour from the Visitors Center.

How can I get involved in this school? And what kind of career can I get out of it?

Well i would start by hitting up the webpage and finding out about going to the campus for a tour. Check out the programs there and ask alot of questions.

Thats about all i can tell you, the professors and tour guides and the people there already in teh programs can explain better about careers that the graduates are starting and what jobs they are getting and salaries they are making.

Good luck.

If you cant swing getting into a university, start your first year in a community college. Take some computer science and, use photography as a minor. To do any sellable frre-lance you need to foot the bill to travel to dangerous places and, then with the right luck be where something major happens. I carry a camera all the time, just in case in my travels, something news worthy happens, Im ready to get that moment.

Back