College Network..block online gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garzilla04

Limp Gawd
Im a student over a Johnson and Wales university, and wanted to know what you guys thought about this. About 2 days ago...our online abilities were good, we could play all the CS we wanted, chat around on IRC all we wanted...etc etc. Ever since yesterday morning....all of our online gaming abilities and IRC/Bittorent capabilities have been cut off.

Steam will not connect, IRC is getting "Timed Out".....generally everything is not working besides our internet browsing abilities, and instant messaging. Now im in college and I depend on my computer as not only a source of information...but entertainment also.

Is this some way for the school to crack down on file sharing? Does it have to do w/ blocking of certain ports? How would that also effect our online gaming abilities? Ive e-mailed the school and have gotten a lot of other people, who are upset about it to email also...no replies yet.

Please someone help me out...thanks.

my college network is the same. i have managed to get IRC working , and i found one program that you can use for downloading that is not blocked.... yet

check out a program called Hopster (google it) this will "port tunnel" or something like that and it will be able to connect to irc channels

also check out soulseek on google for all your downloading needs.

Just to remind the second poster as well as inform the origninal poster, the rules here on hardforum state that we don't help circumvent security messures put in place by your school, work, or other orginization.

Just to clarify, I wasn't asking a way around it. I was curious how our online gaming abilities would be affected by file sharing limitations on the network...

With merely trying to explain what may have happened in mind:

It is entirely possible that your school has set up some kind of PacketShaper device that will block all traffic but http and IM. You should meet with your campus's IT staff and see if there's a way to get a special exemption to that to play games, or if they have any kind of explanation on what happened.

Chances are, though, you'll be told "yea, deal with it."

Garzilla04,
I know a few local colleges around home here that have the same issue's. I'm assuming this is in a college dorm on there network. I can give you some advice/programs to try via PM, i'm assuming they have just blocked those specific ports.

I am wondering about the legality of this action. You are paying for that internet service in your tuition, yes? This could be considered failure to provide a contracted service. If they claim it is their right to block whatever traffic they want, then they can't deny you seeking internet service through another provider. Thoughts?

Garzilla04, I suggest you speak to your network admin, you will get an official answer from them whereas we will just be guessing or going from past experience. We are also unable to offer any help with going around any network policies that have been implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back