derekbannatyne
n00b
- Joined
- Sep 15, 2007
- Messages
- 45
I'm getting ready to purchase a laptop for when I leave for college in August, but I'm still not set on what to get. I'll be going into engineering (not sure which field yet), so I figure that I'll need a relatively top-end laptop with a decent graphics card.
I plan on keeping this for the next four (or more) years, and here's what I had in mind:
Dell XPS M1530
Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
LCD, Color and camera High Resolution widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1440x900) & 2MP Camera
Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Hard Drives Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Combo or DVD+RW Drive Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
Sound Card Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
Primary Battery 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery 6BAT [312-0638]
Warranty & Service 4 Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service ATG4OS
Accident and Theft Protection Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 4Yr Warr.
SECURITY Finger Print Reader XPS M1530 FPRDR [467-2337]
Bluetooth and Wireless USB Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)
I could get the above for around $1400, does that sound like a decent deal?
Is it worth it to get the four year warranty? I can get pretty much the same configuration for $1050 if I don't opt for the four year warranty (instead replaced by a one year warranty). Thanks for the help!
I plan on keeping this for the next four (or more) years, and here's what I had in mind:
Dell XPS M1530
Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
LCD, Color and camera High Resolution widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1440x900) & 2MP Camera
Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Hard Drives Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Combo or DVD+RW Drive Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
Sound Card Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
Primary Battery 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery 6BAT [312-0638]
Warranty & Service 4 Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service ATG4OS
Accident and Theft Protection Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 4Yr Warr.
SECURITY Finger Print Reader XPS M1530 FPRDR [467-2337]
Bluetooth and Wireless USB Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)
I could get the above for around $1400, does that sound like a decent deal?
Is it worth it to get the four year warranty? I can get pretty much the same configuration for $1050 if I don't opt for the four year warranty (instead replaced by a one year warranty). Thanks for the help!