college dorm room, multiple connections?

NIGHTMARE2

Gawd
At my friends school they want to charge him to plug in both is PS2 and PC.

To avoid this lameness would he use a hub from his PC or a router from the wall?

Thanks,

As much as I hate to say it, that probably wouldn't work. Most schools have policies about using other hardware (routers, switches, etc) in dorms. The only time we got away with it is when we got our floor all playing q3, and since the school network sucked, those of us that played ran our cables into a switch someone braught in (that was not connected to the school network).

Ok first off, most colleges have a 1 IP Per pillow policy, but i would check with your ResNet department to find out if you can register a second MAC Address.

If you are allowed only 1 ip, a router will help, and i dont know of any college that would stop you from having a router registred.

Another thing to check is to see how other games play, if you cant play computer games well (too slow, high ping) it will be nearly impossible to play PS2 games right.

just my .02, i have a bit of knowledge in this department, im one of 2 Student LAN admins for our resnet department

Originally posted by evildre
...or, you can drop a second NIC in your PC and route :D

that's what I did w/ my linux box when I was in Res 1st year.

now if my college actually had the students register mac addresses and verify them or something, they might actually be able to make good on all their threats.....

Originally posted by Roast
As much as I hate to say it, that probably wouldn't work. Most schools have policies about using other hardware (routers, switches, etc) in dorms. The only time we got away with it is when we got our floor all playing q3, and since the school network sucked, those of us that played ran our cables into a switch someone braught in (that was not connected to the school network).

He'll have to call his ResNet to make sure. If anything, they will allow it, but not support it.

At my school... I tried a dlink router but they detected the muliple mapped ports so I tried some unknown router brand (Airplus?) from Fry's. They haven't detecetd it... and it's been like 5 months. I'm guessing that the router uses some TCP stack that whatever they use to detect doesn't recognize as a router.

Originally posted by Rombus
Ok first off, most colleges have a 1 IP Per pillow policy, but i would check with your ResNet department to find out if you can register a second MAC Address.

If you are allowed only 1 ip, a router will help, and i dont know of any college that would stop you from having a router registred.

Another thing to check is to see how other games play, if you cant play computer games well (too slow, high ping) it will be nearly impossible to play PS2 games right.

just my .02, i have a bit of knowledge in this department, im one of 2 Student LAN admins for our resnet department

When I was at Penn State they were pretty anal about not having routers hooked up in the dorms (I believe policy AD-20 says something about "not extending the physical network with wired or wireless network equipment"). Still, I did it. So long as no one rats you out you'll be fine. There's no way to tell the difference between your computer and a router from the WAN side (unless you do something stupid like make SNMP or the router's web config app available on the WAN side).

I'm going to San Diego State, and I read over their entire AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) and they said nothing about either having multiple computers hooked up or running servers on the INTERNAL lan (it specifically says no servers that can be used from the internet, though). So all I did was run a cable from the wall to a switch, then have all three computers hooked up to the switch (didn't even need a router, they all got assigned individual IP's), then registered them all under my name. No problems so far, and no one has told me to stop, so I'm keeping it like this for now.

Back