College Apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayD

Limp Gawd
I just moved in to a new complex and they provide the high-speed connection for the whole place. The first two weeks I was here (early move in) before most of the complex moved in for the semester I was getting pings as low as 5ms in CS:S and the internet was running great. Then a few days ago the internet went down for the day and when it came back up I couldn't connect to any servers for either CS:S or BF2. So most likely they set up a firewall to block the required TCP/IP ports, but my question is if anyone knows any way or any software that would allow me to bypass the firewall or run the game on other ports so I can game again!

Can you get your own cable or dsl line there. That'd be the thing to do. Hopefully nobody here would give you advice on bypassing the firewall and unless the servers are running on odd ports then it doesn't really matter about trying to use other ports on your end. If you don't like what the people who OWN the connection you use are doing with it, then try another option. If you don't have one then just live with it or at least go to a board where it's appropriate to ask questions about circumventing firewall rules.

JayD said:
I just moved in to a new complex and they provide the high-speed connection for the whole place. The first two weeks I was here (early move in) before most of the complex moved in for the semester I was getting pings as low as 5ms in CS:S and the internet was running great. Then a few days ago the internet went down for the day and when it came back up I couldn't connect to any servers for either CS:S or BF2. So most likely they set up a firewall to block the required TCP/IP ports, but my question is if anyone knows any way or any software that would allow me to bypass the firewall or run the game on other ports so I can game again!

This might help: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=935081

It's their service, they get to say how you can use it. Don't ask us how to circumvent it. If you want to use the internet any way like then you'll probably just want to go ahead and get your own internet connection.

If your residential network supports VPN (virtual private network) you could essentially bypass the firewall. For example, here's UCI's I used it when I dormed there but towards the end of the year they ended up restricting all bittorrent, p2p traffic (they even suspended me for that :p). Link

Go talk to the IT guys at your school.

In general, gaming is allowed on campuses and not blocked because it doesn't take a huge amount of bandwidth and doesn't get in the way like p2p does. Your luck is gonna vary here of course but if you explain your case and offer the ports you want opened then I would say they might cooperate.

Talk to the "official channels" at your school. We won't help you circumvent their rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back